What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D sub hi density pins

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
OK guys, I need some advice......I need to remove some pins from the D sub plug on my Garmin 400. What pin extraction tool do I use. Tried a couple different ones yesterday (borrowed) and they were too big to go remove the pins. Suggestions? I believe it is a 79 pin plug.:confused:

There is a pin extraction tool sized for regular pins and another for high density pins. Here is what I use ...

http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=289

Even with the right size tool, it's a snug fit. I gently wiggle/twist the tool while gently pressing it into the connector hole. It can get caught on the edge of the pin. The twisting/wiggling it to get it to slip past the crimped end and slide down along the length of the pin.

Last edited:
One thing to be aware of is that some folks will have used "open barrel" contacts when building their wiring harnesses. These pins are ones where the wire end looks more like the wire end of a Molex connector pin. These are considerably more difficult to remove than the MIL-SPEC style closed barrel pins. You may find that you have to tilt or lean the tail end of the extractor tool toward the side of the tool with the slit in it while rotating the tool to align the closed side of the extractor with the solid side of the open-barrel contact; this will sometimes help the tool slip over the end of the pin.

Red/white extraction tools work for standard D-subs while the light green/white tools work for the high density pins.

I wish you lots of patience and good luck!

Hey Jim,
In case you need to replace one of the pins, please know that there is a squeezer in hangar 34. I can demo on the weekend If necessary.

Thanks Bill............ I just need to remove the old pins. Good to know about the squeezer. I have one too, but I don't think I have the correct die.

Get a good tool with the metal barrel (like Stein sells). Plastic body is fine, but the extraction barrel won't last long if it's plastic (some cheap ones are). Stein also has a video on his site that shows how to use it.

extractor

Ordered 2 extractor/ inserter tools from Stein. Plus I found a new connector (usually $78, ouch) on Ebay for $25, so that will make my job much easier as I won't have to remove the 20 some wires from the old connector. Just remove the 3 that i was using until I discovered that my GNS 400 requires altitude info for RAIM accuracy, hence the need for the new wiring harness. The original owner just cut the wires and left about 1" of wire.:mad:

video

Oh, and thanks Dave, I'll check out the video. Luckily I have Bill P. next door to my hangar. He;s a whiz with this stuff. Aren't ya wild Bill? :)

Jim,
I think Diane is scheduled to work this Saturday so I can come over to the airport if needed (to break into Ed's hangar, steal the squeezer, do the deed and replace it :D)

Hi Bill

Bill,
I don't think my new connector will be here before then, but when it gets here I'll get with you. Shouldn't be a big job.

Back