What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting F-770 side skins

The instructions are not very clear to me about riveting the side skins to the longerons on my RV-7A. On the rear fuse I riveted only the keeper holes in between rivets to hold the F-773 skins in place. I then drilled 3 keeper holes about a foot apart starting 8 inches aft of the firewall through F-770 and the longeron and plan to rivet those 6 (3 on each side) to hold the skins in place until I am ready to rivet on the top skins fore and aft. My plan then is to set all of the rivets in the cockpit area in between the forward top skin and the rear top skin. Am I correct in this plan or am I missing something? Thanks.
Also, A Merry Christmas to all!

That's It

You're correct. I looked back over my builder's log and I can clearly see in the photos where the "canoe" is still upside down and the rivets between the 770 and longeron are installed, with clecos further aft holding the 773 skin to the longeron.

You just have to pay attention to the proper call-outs for either the slider or the tip-up, as they're very different in the front area. We marked the holes directly on the skin that didn't get riveted with a big fat Sharpie "X".

Thanks, Dave. I had a hunch I was right but wanted to avoid a "gotcha". It's amazing that Van's mentions a laundry list of things to do before riveting. It seems my laundry list was very long, but I'm confident I covered everything.

Back