What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailspring

logansc

Well Known Member
Really struggling to find the part number of the standard Van's tail spring. I drilled mine a bit off and my tailwheel is canted as a result. I'd like to "start over" but I can't find the part number. The housing part number, swivel, and etc are all pretty easy to find, but the spring itself---not so much.

Any help?

Thanks,

Lee...

The one I see on the RV-7 drawing is an FSTS635-1 Full Swivel Tail Spring. Some are match-drilled with the "socket" weldment into which it fits, so you may need to ask to make sure it's the right one.

Also, you might be able to save your spring by using a tapered pin, or slightly oversize bolt, or other technique. Kinda depends on how bad it is and if you're comfortable with a repair. Contact me if you want more info. [email protected]

D-Dubya and Vince: Thanks for checking in. I saw the part your recommended D-Dub, but it sounded to me like it was the swivel (never could get a picture to come up). Anyway, Vince has what I need, so I should be in good shape.

I just miss-drilled the darn thing in the first place and it's wearing the tailwheel off center.

Thanks for the help...

Lee...

D-Dubya and Vince: Thanks for checking in. I saw the part your recommended D-Dub, but it sounded to me like it was the swivel (never could get a picture to come up). Anyway, Vince has what I need, so I should be in good shape.

I just miss-drilled the darn thing in the first place and it's wearing the tailwheel off center.

Thanks for the help...

Lee...

Lee,

I have used one of Vince's tailsprings to replace mine.

Good stuff!!

James

Back