What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 drill press question.

Yank

I'm getting my shop ready for an RV-14 build (my first kit), based on builder experience with this kit, any recommendations on getting a drill press and if so, how large. Thanks in advance for the help.....

Press

I'm getting my shop ready for an RV-14 build (my first kit), based on builder experience with this kit, any recommendations on getting a drill press and if so, how large. Thanks in advance for the help.....

Personal preference. Mine has a 5/8 chuck. Harbor Fright. Works fine for the stuff we do.
It's a tabe mounted model about 3' tall. Center beam is about 3". 13", 3/4 HP. 16 speed but I never change it.

Last edited:
+1 on Harbor Freight table top drill press. Only used a few times, but indispensable when needed. Not sure of my chuck size, but that is my only issue - with fine bits (#40 - sometimes required for pilot holes) the chuck won't grip it (#30 and above work fine).

Any good tabletop model should suffice. For reference, I have a 10" Ryobi drill press with a 1/2" chuck and I have no regrets. As long as the chuck is solid with no wobble, you should be fine. Bolt that sucker to the bench when you pick one out.

Any will do

I've never used a drill press for anything except to run scotchbrite wheel and large diameter unibit. So I say just get a smaller bench top one and that is all you need.

Drill press

Get the biggest one you can afford and fit in the shop. A cross feed vice is a nice addition. I use mine all the time.

Picked up a Skil on Amazon worked great for all the empennage machine countersinking. Pretty good price as well

Back