Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Default Garmin GDL 39 will not connect to an autopilot?

I have a Garmin 696 which drives a Trutrak Digitrak autopilot. I would like to add the GDL 39 in order to get ADS-B weather and traffic. However the tech support person at Garmin said there is no way to add the GDL 39 to the 696 without losing the ability to drive an autopilot. Apparently it has something to do with the wires in/out. Now this seems very strange to me and not being an electrical expert I would like to ask if anyone can confirm or refute this? The tech support person at Trutrak looked at the GDL 39 manual and said it should work. So there is conflicting opinion on this.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyce View Post
I have a Garmin 696 which drives a Trutrak Digitrak autopilot. I would like to add the GDL 39 in order to get ADS-B weather and traffic. However the tech support person at Garmin said there is no way to add the GDL 39 to the 696 without losing the ability to drive an autopilot. Apparently it has something to do with the wires in/out. Now this seems very strange to me and not being an electrical expert I would like to ask if anyone can confirm or refute this? The tech support person at Trutrak looked at the GDL 39 manual and said it should work. So there is conflicting opinion on this.
That perhaps could be the case if you used the prefabricated "696 cable"(because it doesn't separate out the individual wires for use into an EFIS/AP, etc..), but if you use the "bare wire cable" then you should have no issues at all. It'll take a wee bit of re-wiring and user configuration, but should be fine! As I understand it from my brilliant Garmin engineering friends, the GDL basically adds a 2nd serial port to the 696 and passes the aformentioned info along.

This is going to take a few days to sort out each individual iteration of devices with the GDL, but I know Garmin is working on making most things work with it.

Cheers,
Stein
Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Hello pboyce,

Unfortunately the information you received from our product support was not entirely correct, for which I apologize... having only just received their first GDL 39 unit, they may still be working through the learning curve for this brand new device. The good news for you is that the GDL 39 has a second RS-232 port on it, which is intended for just this sort of application. So although you will lose the use of the single RS-232 port on the GPSmap 696 when you connect it to the GDL 39, you only need to connect the second RS-232 port on the GDL 39 to your NMEA-receiving device to continue using NMEA data. For further information, you can see pages 210-211 of the GPSmap 696 owner's manual (revision F).

thanks,
- Matt
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Matt,

It was a pleasure to meet you in person this week. You and Steve deserve an award for spending all that time on your feet in that hot tent!

Do you have a link for the new 796 manual?

Thanks,

Brian C.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Default Don't have the answer but...

I bought a GDL 39 at OSH and hooked it up to my iPad. As I left OSH all I can say is WOW! The whole screen was just covered with targets. As we got further away, we could only spot about 1/5 the traffic within 5 miles of us that the ADS-B was showing us, and that is with it telling us where to look.

Can't wait until I get my RV done so I will have it on the panel.
Suwanee, GA.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:28 PM

I got the same first impression. It is going to be an awesome tool!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 PM

Is it configurable to only see a certain range of targets or does it have default settings. For example, does it show ALL traffic at ALL altitudes or is it limited to 2-3 thousand feet? Programmable?

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 PM

On the 796 you can filter altitude and on the traffic/map pages, you can control the scale of the page. If they are outside the scale, they don't show up.

I am sure the other displays have similar functions.

I zoomed out and had traffic targets showing that were 24 miles away.

You can touch a target and get tons of info about it.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 AM

Default ADS-B Traffic Altitude Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
Is it configurable to only see a certain range of targets or does it have default settings. For example, does it show ALL traffic at ALL altitudes or is it limited to 2-3 thousand feet? Programmable?
As Brian correctly pointed out, the pilot can use the altitude filter to prevent traffic which is of little interest from showing up on the map and traffic page.

For example, the Unrestricted setting shows all traffic, but you will soon tire of seeing all those airliners up at 30,000'+ crossing in front of you on the map.

The Normal setting (traffic within +/- 2700 ft) seems to work well most of the time. If you are going to do a high vertical speed descent, you might want to choose BELOW to keep more traffic in sight below you.

While we don't yet have the Aera 79X Pilot Guide on the web, you can read all about the ADS-B traffic function starting on page 154 of the GPSMAP 69X Pilot Guide or on page 240 of the G3X Pilot Guide. The ADS-B traffic function is very similar for all the Garmin portables and for G3X.

ADS-B Traffic Pilot Selectable Altitude Filter Settings
  • NORMAL: Displays non-threat and proximity traffic from 2700 feet above the aircraft to 2700 feet below the aircraft. Typically used during enroute phase of flight.
  • ABOVE: Displays non-threat and proximity traffic from 9000 feet above the aircraft to 2700 feet below the aircraft. Typically used during climb phase of flight.
  • BELOW: Displays non-threat and proximity traffic from 2700 feet above the aircraft to 9000 feet below the aircraft. Typically used during descent phase of flight.
  • UNREST (unrestricted): All traffic is displayed.

This is my favorite G3X/GDL39 traffic screen shot from my trip out to Oshkosh. I couldn't see this aircraft at 11 nm descending straight at me on my course line, but I got an early heads up that it was there and I was able to keep clear of it.

Thanks to everyone who came by to visit us at the G3X tent at Oshkosh. It was great meeting so many of you that frequent this forum.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM

Will there be a new manual for the Aera 500 series? Curious if anyone has a pirep in this application.