VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 AM
cardinalflier cardinalflier is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Granite Bay, Ca
Posts: 131
Default OAT probe location

The previous owner of my RV6 installed a Dynon OAT Probe on the rear tailcone under the stab forhis D10a install. The adahrs unit is in front of the stab under the fairing. I upgraded to the Skyview (which I love), using the same location for the adahrs unit and the OAT probe. On the ground, my oat reading is accurate, but in the air my reading is 10-20 degrees high because of exhaust. I'm looking for suggestions on where to move the probe to, maybe under the rudder fairing? I would like to keep the probe at the rear for ease of new installation, less wiring to move or splice. Thanks, Bruce
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Chkaharyer99 Chkaharyer99 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pilot Hill, CA
Posts: 850
Default

The OAT probe on my RV-8 is mounted on the under side of my wing. Mine works satisfactorily. No apparent temp increase from the exhaust.

Richard B. has his mounted inside the NACA vent on the fuselage of his RV-6.

Both of us will be out there today in case you want to have a look or need some help.
__________________
Charlie
RV-8
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,494
Default

I have two totally independent OAT sensor, one in the NACA vent and one under the wing in the wing root area. Both read 90% of the time the same value and the other 10% at most is 1F different. To the best of my knowledge and testing, they report correct value, certainly on the ground where it can easily be tested.
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Robert Anglin Robert Anglin is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 900
Default Sure

We looked at this for some time before settling on a good spot. Under the wing, just to the inside of the first inspection plate. That spot gets the probe away for the engine and prop slip stream and puts it under the wing so it will be in the shade where the sun will not give it a higher reading. You can put them anywhere you like but we just wanted the lowest % of correction factor to be preset into the mounting sight and still give us a clean easy to service location. Your call on this one. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 PM
rapid_ascent rapid_ascent is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dublin, CA
Posts: 1,388
Default

I'm putting mine in the inspection panel for the wing. That way I'm not putting a hole in the wing skin. I can always make a new panel if I want to make a change.
__________________
Ray Tonks
2020 Donation Paid
Titan IOX-370, Dual PMAGs, 9.6:1 Pistons, FM-150
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.