Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Default New RV-8 Owner in the Northeast....

Well I no longer need to annoy you all in the FS/WTB forum saying I'm looking for an RV-8.

I bought an RV-8 from Billy Copeland in Paris, Tx. After a few days waiting for clearing weather and a couple days dual and solo practice, I flew the plane home, from Paris Tx. (KPRX) to the Beverly Airport (KBVY) on the 9th and 10th of July.

Billy put together a fantastic airplane. I couldn't have asked for higher quality nor a better thought out airplane. In addition, Billy and his wife are the kindest and most hospitable people that can be found anywhere. The time I spent in Texas was most pleasurable.

There are a lot of people I need to thank; many of them not associated with this particular airplane.

Firstly, Smokey Ray who did the Pre-Buy inspection on this airplane. I got a great inspection and lots of excellent advice. I only wish I could have met him there in Tx.

But I also need to thank Tom Berge of Minnesota. Tom inspected another -8 for me and spent countless hours on the phone with me talking about not only that airplane but RV-8's in general. I learned a tremendous amount from him.

And I also need to thank Vic Syracuse. Vic inspected several airplanes for me and I finally got to meet him in South Carolina. Very knowledgeable, very wise, and an excellent PB inspector. You want a plane inspected in the Southeast? Vic is your man. Vic also spent a lot of time with me and even offered to answer questions on a plane I was going to look at in Maine - for free.

A lot of planes were rejects, and I lost a few to other buyers but I'm supremely happy with the airplane I got.

I headed down to Tx. via the airlines on Monday, July the 6th, to pick up the airplane:

I got down there early morning, Monday the 6th hoping to get some practice in and leave the 7th. Wx would not co-operate on Monday. Tuesday Billy and I went up dual where he showed me the systems as well as the Mighty Red River (one of my fave movies). After 3 practice landings, dual, I took it up solo and shot two good ones.

Wx at my hoped-for destination, kept me pinned in Tx so, next day, I took the plane up again solo and shot 4 four more good landings.

Having given up the idea of visiting a friend (and RV-8 owner) in Ohio, I decided to head East and take the bird home. It was a fun and enjoyable 1,430nm, 2 day, XC. I landed in Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia and Connecticut - finally home in Beverly Ma. The airplane performed marvelously. It was also very very comfortable (again thanks to Billy).

So here I am, a new RV-8 owner in the Northeast with a big wide RV-grin. Any other RV owners in the Northeast who want to get together feel free to contact me.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:48 AM

Default congrats

Very cool. How about some pictures of your new 8.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 07-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post

I bought an RV-8 from Billy Copeland in Paris, Tx.
Congrats on the new bird-------------now, you do know about the photo required stuff.........................dont you?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-14-2015, 10:58 AM

Yep I know all about the photo requirement stuff. Right now the only pictures I have are ones Billy took a while back. None with me in it and no required "RV-Grin" pic yet.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:14 AM

Default New RV-8 Owner in the Northeast....

New RV-8 owner based at KBVY. Would like to meet other RV-8 owners in the area.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM

Congratulations Saville. I know you've been looking for quite some time and hope you enjoy your new bird.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks infidel. It's been a long search but actually fun and ultimately highly rewarding.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
New RV-8 owner based at KBVY. Would like to meet other RV-8 owners in the area.
Gregg, I use KBVY a few times a year when visiting family and friends in the area. I'll be sure to drop you a message ahead of my next trip!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM

Congratulations! Another sweet looking 8! Would love to see the panel.
2021 dues paid!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
Gregg, I use KBVY a few times a year when visiting family and friends in the area. I'll be sure to drop you a message ahead of my next trip!
Humpty,

Please do let me know when you'll be up!