-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Electronic Ignition Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 PM

Default PMAG loss of timing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burbidge View Post
How many people have had a pmag loose it?s reference to TDC?
I have dual PMAGs (Ver 14) on my RV-7A IO-360 engine. I've now got 1740 Hrs on it and have NEVER seen a loss of timing...
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
2020 Donation Paid
Old 01-12-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Do folks up-armor the 2 wires coming off the red pickup sensor to the baffles?

Fan belt failure tearing a wire loose has happened, right?
I used to sell Subaru engine conversions and parts. One of the parts was a speed sensor using a hall effect sensor and a magnet wheel on a CV joint. The wire coming out of the hall effect sensor was the weekest link in the whole conversion, but replacements sensors are super cheap.

I will definitely up-armor those wires on the SDS and replace the sensors periodically.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:10 AM

There are no totally, absolutely risk-free ignitions. Let's focus on operating and performance differences.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burbidge View Post
How many people have had a pmag loose it?s reference to TDC?
Early on there were issues with them, which is why we developed the EICommander.
Since version 40 came out, I have not heard of a single instance of lost timing.

If you are running a ore version 40 P-mag, get it in for the update at your next condition inspection.

As for the bad bearing issue, the EICommander can and has picked those up. That said, these types of failures are very rare.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-13-2020, 08:01 AM

Default Annual CI and CHT question ?

What is the rationale for removing annually, it is a major PITA on an RV3. I am following a 100Hr inspect schedule on rev 40 vintage Pmags. I cannot recall where that suggestion came from.

CHT - Just for the record, the advance curve is not a problem for all engines. My 7:1 0320 never exceeds 300F winter or summer.

FWIW, I have SDS on my 0360 / RV4 project for reasons cited above.
Clinton, IN
Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
What is the rationale for removing annually, it is a major PITA on an RV3. I am following a 100Hr inspect schedule on rev 40 vintage Pmags. I cannot recall where that suggestion came from.

CHT - Just for the record, the advance curve is not a problem for all engines. My 7:1 0320 never exceeds 300F winter or summer.

FWIW, I have SDS on my 0360 / RV4 project for reasons cited above.
The jumper in (A curve) timing is perfect for low compression engines, such as the one in your -3. If you had the "stock" 8.5:1 engine, there is a very good chance you would have high CHT's. (Jumper in timing starts at 26.6? and advances out from there. No jumper timing starts at over 30?.)
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-13-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
It isn't mandatory. The website states: "The Installation and Operating Guide has a list of items that can (emphasis added) be incorporated into your annual condition inspection.".

One of the items is: "Remove ignition and examine shaft and drive gear condition. Note: Ignition disassembly is not necessary (and if done may void your warranty). Look for excessive play (lateral and axial). Shaft rotation should be free, with no catching, flat spots, or grinding. The shaft on “P” models (with internal alternator) will have a push-pull rippling effect as the shaft turns and the permanent magnets pass the rotor poles. This is normal and expected. If a P model ignition does not have this magnetic ripple, the unit requires additional (shop) service."
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 01-13-2020, 09:38 AM

Mike Shook: I just sent you a pm. Bruce Estes
Old 01-13-2020, 10:56 AM

Congratulations on your new install, hope your CHT is more manageable once you start the advance curve that is suppose to help with the performance of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
There are no totally, absolutely risk-free ignitions. Let's focus on operating and performance differences.
Now, that is what I call a voice of reason and worth paying attention to.

I simply tune out some of the subjective opinions expressed here design to promote one brand or knock other brands.
Dues paid
Old 01-13-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Congratulations on your new install, hope your CHT is more manageable once you start the advance curve that is suppose to help with the performance of the engine.

Now, that is what I call a voice of reason and worth paying attention to.

I simply tune out some of the subjective opinions expressed here design to promote one brand or knock other brands.

So lets get objective.
If you go back to basics and write down requirement for the ignition system it would include something to the effect that the availability of the system should be no worse than any other cause that would likely result in loss of engine power for a certified engine type and there should be no single point failure in the ignition system that could result in loss of power. With the exception of the P mag all others require an external power source or reliable storage that can self isolate from the main electrical system to protect against a large number of single point failures in the typical electrical system . Designing the electrical system to have two independent paths and still make each path reliable, available and automatically monitored is possible but requires great attention to detail in the design and implementation. There may be advantages in some of the designs to being able to control the spark advance and energy but the big issue is independent power that will keep the engine running and developing power until the fuel is exhausted. All other discussion is marketing and brand tribal loyalty.
I hope that in changing from P mag to SDS there were also changes to the electrical system design to address these issues.

KT