Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Some people have questions about switch layouts on the CPI-2.

Here are some possible ways to wire the controllers:

Hope this helps clarify.
Ross,

I have a dual CPI-2 with SDS backup battery for my IO-360 with CS prop. RPM is limited to 2700. I intend to use the two switch configuration shown in your diagram.

Looks like your red (high current) wires are 18 gauge but on dual boards there is two. One for each board.

What size wire should I run from the battery to the two (high current) switches depicted in the diagram?

What size should the fusible link be?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

In an RV, 18 gauge wire should be fine for the high current runs and a 15 amp fusible link.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 445.2 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 05-20-2019, 12:27 PM

Hey Charlie, I live near you and would love to come look at your CPI2 setup if possible. Any chance you can private message me or email av8rrob@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Ross,

I have a dual CPI-2 with SDS backup battery for my IO-360 with CS prop. RPM is limited to 2700. I intend to use the two switch configuration shown in your diagram.

Looks like your red (high current) wires are 18 gauge but on dual boards there is two. One for each board.

What size wire should I run from the battery to the two (high current) switches depicted in the diagram?

What size should the fusible link be?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Pictures of CPI2 with back up battery

Guys,

I am on Ross's list for a CPI2 duel ignition with a backup battery. I would love to see pictures of your installation if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Tony
Dues paid 2021
Old 05-25-2019, 12:31 PM

Default New Info

I uploaded a new supplement for Lycoming CPI-2 engine hardware which should help to better clarify details on the coil pack, crank sensor and bracket plus spark plug and wire assembly/mounting: http://sdsefi.com/cpi2lychard2.pdf

One thing we have seen many times now on the CPI and EM-5 is that people measure their front crankcase bolt spacing incorrectly so they get the wrong crank sensor mount supplied. This costs time and money for both parties.

It is a bit difficult to measure that dimension with the flywheel installed so I suggest using a strip of thin cardboard that can be inserted inside the flywheel to rest against the case through-bolt tips. Cut this to 3.50 inches long and see if the edges line up with both bolt centerlines. If the gauge is too wide, trim length to 3.25 and try again. The dimension will be either 3.25 or 3.50.

Update on the next batch of CPI-2 boards- we started shipping parts to the PCB loading facility already and hope these will be in production process by the second week in June. We've also stock piled lots of 4 and 6 cylinder coil packs, mag covers, spark plug adapters, crank sensors and mounts. We hope to be able to ramp up output as soon as we receive the completed boards back.

BTW, thanks to our new customers who've given us feedback to improve the documentation for this product. Always welcome.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 445.2 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 05-25-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:56 PM

The second set of boards and components are now at the loading/ soldering facility. Looking forward to having completed boards in hand later this month and clearing the order backlog.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:29 PM

Default sds cpi-2 progress

I am close to flying my 20 year old RV6 with newly installed CPI-2. I removed an original LS for the SDS.
Some of the issues I ran into were, first, the plan was to purchase the dual system, using only one side of the system and keeping one mag until I was confident in the system. Ross and Barry thought this would work fine. It didn't. The CPI-2 is a smart system, and gave me the red fault light with 3 faults when I first powered up the system. Because the controller is a dual board, the primary board that I wanted to use wanted to communicate with the second board which I had not powered up yet. Also, the system was looking for the back up battery because it was a dual system. So, I ordered more circuit breakers, switches, backup battery and holder, and installed them. Red fault light gone with no faults showing on the controller. Barry figured this one out for me and I am sure he is amending the installation instructions.

Next, the diagram that I received showing the "mag cut" wire hook up wasn't correct. Again, Barry to the rescue. New wiring instructions were sent to me.

I wasn't aware of the recent You Tube videos by Ross, showing a lot more of the system than is shown in the instructions. Also, be sure and download the latest instructions, don't rely on what is sent to you as there might have been changes. This created a few problems for me until I watched the videos. There is a LOT of good info in the videos

I ran my engine again this morning and checked everything. All is good except my Dynon is not showing RPM from SDS. I'm still working on this issue. So, I am close. Through all of this, Barry and Ross have been EXCEPTIONAL in quick responses and fixes to the various issues. I can't say enough about the support from them.

When you go through the set up instructions is when you can really appreciate what a GREAT system the CPI-2 is. Thanks Barry and Ross
Bruce Estes
Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 PM

Thanks Bruce. Your feedback is leading us to revise a couple things in the manual to improve clarity and you uncovered something in the software which was giving you the gibberish on one line of the display due to that setting. Barry found the reason and rectified that now.

Thanks for your patience. The manual is pretty long but most things are just set up initially and then not used again but those setups are critical for the device to work properly. It will detect most things which are not set right and give a fault warning.

Sorry about not sending you all the documentation you should have received. That was my oversight.

The unit outputs a 12V square wave tach signal, 2 pulses per crank rev on 4 cylinders, 3 on 6 cylinders engines. Hopefully the Dynon can be configured for that.

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 06-08-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
The unit outputs a 12V square wave tach signal, 2 pulses per crank rev on 4 cylinders, 3 on 6 cylinders engines. Hopefully the Dynon can be configured for that.
This is of interest to me; I'm planning on going with the CPI2 and a Skyview panel. Here's what the Skyview install guide has to say about RPM inputs:

Quote:
The SV-EMS-220/221’s Standard Voltage RPM inputs can read frequency-based RPM signals, provided the peak voltages goes at least 5.1 volts above ground, and crosses back down below 2.0V relative to ground. If the peak voltage exceeds 50 volts, use the included 30 kΩ resistors as described in the P-lead pickoff (Lycoming and Continental) Section above.

For signals that have a peak voltage of 12V or lower —such as Light Speed ignition outputs— use the low voltage RPM inputs. These inputs require that the peak voltage goes at least 2.1 volts above ground, and crosses back down below 0.8V relative to ground to be counted as a pulse.

For signals that have a peak voltage of 10-12V, either the Standard or Low Voltage RPM inputs can be used.

Like the other methods above, you must know the number of pulses per revolution for your RPM transducer.
So it certainly seems like the CPI2 ought to be able to drive the Skyview tach input with the proper configuration.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
So, I ordered more circuit breakers, switches, backup battery and holder, and installed them.
Bruce - I'd love to see pictures showing how you mounted both the main controller board housing & the backup battery holder. I'm working on the install on my RV-7A, just finished FWF & moving to the stuff behind the panel.

Thanks!
AFP Fuel Injection & Dual SDS CPI-2 ignition
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2020 Dues Paid