- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Default What are you doing to be 2020 compliant

I'm sure this will open the proverbial "Pandora's Box" but, what are you doing to be 2020 compliant? I currently have a Dynon D100/120 EFIS/EMS setup with a non-WAAS GNS430 and a GTX-327. I have seen the Navworx box for $1299 that would seem to take care of everything and make it easy. Then there's the "upgrade creep" where I start thinking of going to a Sky View set up including the not-yet-released compliant transponder and upgrading my 430 to WAAS, even thought about selling the 430 and getting a Garmin 650. I guess I'm interested in the thoughts and ideas of others on this topic. I'll shoot an occasional approach but really have no interest in hard IFR at this point. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.
David
Roseville, Ca
Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Default wait and watch

Waiting till 2019 to see everything available. As with electronics these days, I figure the options will keep getting better. Maybe wishfull thinking.
Purchased flying RV-7
Old 01-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Since I am still building, I plan to go with the Dynon solution.

If I had your setup, the Navworx or FreeFlight options would likely be in my future. Paying for the "W" upgrade for the 430 is far more expensive and, since you are not thinking about IFR, not the way to go but it would provide the legal WAAS output for an ES transponder.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)
Old 01-11-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaweeka View Post
Then there's the "upgrade creep" where I start thinking of going to a Sky View set up including the not-yet-released compliant transponder and upgrading my 430 to WAAS, even thought about selling the 430 and getting a Garmin 650.
FYI, our transponder is for sale and has been for years, and is fully compliant if hooked to a 430W or GTN. It's our 2020 GPS standalone GPS module for those without IFR navigators that has not but is just about to ship.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 01-11-2016, 04:58 PM

What am I doing? Waiting. I'm quite certain that if I buy anything now I'll regret it later.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Partly done, partly waiting

Installed a garmin GDL39 receiver to pick up the free weather and wired it to my 696 for display. Seems to work fine.

Will wait until much closer to the deadline to decide what to do about the out portion. Currently do not have a wass approved GPS source so would be leaning towards one of the all in one boxes at this point.

But I expect a lot to change between now and then!
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post
It's our 2020 GPS standalone GPS module ...that has not but is just about to ship.
Patiently waiting for this to ship
Old 01-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Default Nothing

I'm not doing nothing. I fly for fun. Come 11/19, electronics will be cheaper, rules would have changed, and I may be 6ft under. Who knows. Enjoying the moment now and really appreciate all those who have paved the way by purchasing 2020 stuff and doing the shake down cruise on all the bugs and process issues.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
Aerostar 600A, Family Hotrod
Old 01-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Nothing. In 2020 I stop flying and get myself a gf

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:42 PM

I have now installed 4+ Navworx -EXP boxes and they are by far the easiest and cheapest way to go if you don't have an ES transponder or an IFR WAAS GPS.

I installed one today that took all of 2 minutes to configure. The hardest part of the install was running a power wire from the panel to the tailcone of the RV-7A. That wire and a local airframe ground and the two antennas and it was done. The display is Wing X on the iPad, so there is not even any display wire. Super easy to install.