What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weep Seep Leak

BH1166

Well Known Member
Right tank needs pulling and repaired. What is best technique in cutting access hole in baffle once I've located the area in need repairing. Pretty confident it is not in the access or fuel sender area. If a specific tool, please share brand, source etc.

Thanks

Tool

Butch,
I used a fly cutter when I did mine. May be other tools but that is what I had on hand.

Butch,
I used a fly cutter when I did mine. May be other tools but that is what I had on hand.

Fly-cutter is probably the most practical tool to use. Just be sure to use ALL safety precautions. Fly-cutter operations can be scary!

Rectangular hole

I cut a rectangular hole in the rear baffle to give me the most room to work. I first used a step bit and drilled a 1/2” hole in the corners and then used a dremel with a metal wheel and cut the lines connecting the corners.

Weep No More What they do.

Weep no more removes the entire rear baffel, does their magic and rivets it back on. This probably isn't the best option if you just have one or two leaks.

Steve

tank rear baffel hole cutting tool

Most HVAC distributors, home depot, amazon have this tool: It's a tool that you can use with your cordless drill to cut a round hole in sheetmetal, adjustable and bits are replaceable. Malco is a prominent HVAC tool supplier. HC1S.

Keith Rhea
RV7
2022 donation

Attachments

• hole cutter.jpeg
    hole cutter.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 91
hole saws

The fixed size hole saws are great, But, the Klein hole cutter is really the tool to cut any size hole you want.
Works great. Same mess to clean up though.
Art

Just looking, but the Klein arm

may be too long to work on the baffle (would hit the tank flange?)

Weep seek leak

My Malco hole cutter works on the baffle, measure carefully!

I am pretty sure the Klein is just a rebranded malco.

Keith Rhea
RV7
2022 Donation

Klein Tools 89552 not suited for tank leak repair.

I bought the Klein Tools 89552 recommended above. The minimum size hole it can cut without colliding with the Z brackets is 6 inches. This is too big for the cover plates supplied by Vans for this repair Part No T-412.
Next, I'll try using a hole saw in reverse. Fly cutters are too unstable for my liking.

An ordinary fly cutter works just fine. The key is to turn it slow with a high torque drill. Nothin' bad happens at 1 or 2 RPM.

Attachments

• P8080003.JPG
    P8080003.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 56
  • P1220002.JPG
    P1220002.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 38
  • P8080002.JPG
    P8080002.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I thought the fly-cutter would be a disaster but DanH recommended it and I tried it. Sharpened the cutter on a stone, cordless drill near zero RPM, like cutting it with a knife. Perfect cut, no drama, minimal chips in the tank after.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back