- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:35 AM

Exclamation garmin G3X touch align problem

Dear folks I've got my RV7A with 41 hours of total flight time using the G3X Touch dual GDUs 460 .

However during my last flight after about 30 minutes cruising completely leveled at 7500ft on nice and normal day I got the message AHRS ALIGN and the EFIS was showing me in a step bank curve although I was completely leveled.

I tried to boot it up to ALIGN but with no success. Turned off and on the auxiliary battery everything did no good it continue to malfunction an show an erroneous attitude untill the end of flight. But in the next flight it worked fine.

If them I needed the EFIS to show me my attitude in a emergency situation I would be in serious trouble.

So I ask -

What could have happened? Does it need to be changed? Can I put a backup AHRS that would engage automatically if one fails to align?

I apprecciatte all help because I can't stay with a expensive top of line System like Garmin G3X that would put me in life risk in case I inadvertently get into an IFR situation.

Pictures of the inflight warning that lasted throught the entire flight (note the attitude it indicates despite I was completely leveled)

https://4fde9bbd-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0

Thanks in advance.
Lycoming 180 HP - YIO-360-M1B, Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F7497? 72??, Garmin panel - G3X Touch, GTN650, GTS800, WX-500, BATT CONCORDE RG-25XC AEROBATIC SEALED.
-------------
Others: RV9A
Lycoming XIO320-D1A, Hartzell HC-C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 , CS GOVERNOR MTV-12-B, DYNON D180
AND GARMIN AVIONICS
(Sold with aprox 300hrs flown from Dec/2010 -- JUN/2014)

Last edited by ALMARTON : 11-05-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: better understanding
Old 11-05-2015, 07:06 AM

g3xpert@garmin.com
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMARTON View Post
Dear folks I've got my RV7A with 41 hours of total flight time using the G3X Touch dual GDUs 460 .

However during my last flight after about 30 minutes cruising completely leveled at 7500ft on nice and normal day I got the message AHRS ALIGN and the EFIS was showing me in a step bank curve although I was completely leveled.

I tried to boot it up to ALIGN but with no success. Turned off and on the auxiliary battery everything did no good it continue to malfunction an show an erroneous attitude untill the end of flight. But in the next flight it worked fine.

If them I needed the EFIS to show me my attitude in a emergency situation I would be in serious trouble.

So I ask -

What could have happened? Does it need to be changed? Can I put a backup AHRS that would engage automatically if one fails to align?

I apprecciatte all help because I can't stay with a expensive top of line System like Garmin G3X that would put me in life risk in case I inadvertently get into an IFR situation.

Pictures of the inflight warning that lasted throught the entire flight (note the attitude it indicates despite I was completely leveled)

https://4fde9bbd-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0

Thanks in advance.
Hello Alexandre,

We received your email this morning after you posted here.

We are happy to work with you to determine what might have caused this.

The GSU 25 ADAHRS is very reliable, and of the thousands of GSU 25 ADAHRS units fielded since the release of this product in 2013, we can't recall ever hearing that one wouldn't complete alignment in flight, so we will certainly be reviewing the flight data log and installation. Failure of one of the many ADAHRS internal sensors is, however, always a possibility.

Probably the most troubling aspect of this posting is the claim that the flagging and loss of the use of a single device in a large and complex system would put your life in danger in IMC. You don't say that you plan to intentionally fly in IMC, but we hope that if you do, you are properly equipped to do so.

A second ADAHRS would have prevented loss of attitude on the primary flight display in this example, but even someone with a multiple display, multiple ADAHRS system must have a backup instrument for at least attitude and be prepared to use it if needed or shouldn't consider flying in IMC conditions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
.....A second ADAHRS would have prevented loss of attitude on the primary flight display in this example, but even someone with a multiple display, multiple ADAHRS system must have a backup instrument for at least attitude and be prepared to use it if needed or shouldn't consider flying in IMC conditions.
Steve
Is having two independent EFIS, both with independent backup batteries, two ADAHRS, all networked together not sufficient for IMC? Are you saying there should be a 3rd attitude indicator? Actually I have that because of IPAD and Foreflight but that was a pleasant extra, not originally planned for.
Wendell VAF#1832
RV-6A 3/4 done...N48JE Reserved
Build site: www.mykitlog.com/weneng
Donated to VAF in 2020
Old 11-05-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenEng View Post
Is having two independent EFIS, both with independent backup batteries, two ADAHRS, all networked together not sufficient for IMC? Are you saying there should be a 3rd attitude indicator? Actually I have that because of IPAD and Foreflight but that was a pleasant extra, not originally planned for.
There is no one correct answer. Independent dual failures can happen, just statistically very unlikely. But what caught my eye is "networked together". Are your two systems really independent? Can a software error propagate between systems? Or worse, do they use the same software?
Old 11-04-2020, 08:56 PM

Hello.
I have the same problem!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Align.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	4264  
Old 11-05-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenEng View Post
Is having two independent EFIS, both with independent backup batteries, two ADAHRS, all networked together not sufficient for IMC? Are you saying there should be a 3rd attitude indicator?
This is something that has been discussed quite a bit. Yes, there is a possible failure scenario when using two same-software, connected/communicating ADAHRS systems. The recommendation is to have one backup with different software so that an issue in the code does not cause you to loose all your attitude sources. The G5 was specifically designed to meet this need.

In summary, what people are saying is that you should have two independent ADAHRS systems when flying IMC.