Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Default RV-7 Slider?Getting in and Out

I own an RV-6 tip up and am comfortable with what I can grab onto getting in and out.

A friend has an RV-7 slider, and the narrower entry space between the windscreen and the canopy bow combined with the higher side rails make me nervous about what I can hold onto without breaking something.

I’ve uploaded a photo of another friend’s RV-6A slider with what appears to be a very handy addition of handholds. He didn’t build the airplane, so I’m looking for opinions on whether or not the experts think this is a good idea, and if it is, any ideas on where to find them?

Thanks for any inputs.

P.S. The image didn't insert, and I'm trying to find out why. It's on Photobucket, I used the insert image icon and pasted in the URL, which shows up the in edit mode between [IMG] and [/IMG], but it doesn't display in the post.

P.S. I just found a selection on Photobucket called "quick link" or something like that and it provided me with an option it didn't have before called "direct link," which the Forum instructions mention. I'm trying it here . . .
RV-4 N221TM (sold)
RV-7 N7721P
Dues Current through July 2017, double the minimum gladly paid in spite of DR's offer to waive them for veterans.

Last edited by Tango Mike : 06-28-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Is it just me? I don't see a pix
Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 PM

you can try clicking on it and then open it in another tab. there is an image in there.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM

Here's what the handles in my RV-6 look like... I use them all the time, they're great!

I'm not sure where the builder (I'm the 2nd owner) got them but I suspect they came from Aircraft Extras ( http://www.aircraftextras.com/Handles1.htm )

Last edited by Neal@F14 : 06-28-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM

I bought a set of those handles but am afraid of what they could do to my forehead so they have not been installed. I would like a better idea.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM

I think you're right. The link you supplied took me right to them, painted WATCH OUT! red in their example, which I probably don't want, but I like the no welding part.
RV-4 N221TM (sold)
RV-7 N7721P
Dues Current through July 2017, double the minimum gladly paid in spite of DR's offer to waive them for veterans.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Default RV-7A Slider?Getting in and Out

I just grasp the roll bar brace with my right hand, place my right foot just aft of the fuel tank selector, shift my weight onto the right leg, and then sit on the back of the seat. I then move my left leg into the cabin and slide down into the seat.

I just make sure I do not touch the windscreen, fairing, or the canopy frame as I enter. My passengers do similarly from the right side of the plane.

Francis
N968BF
Old 06-28-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
I bought a set of those handles but am afraid of what they could do to my forehead so they have not been installed. I would like a better idea.
In a wreck, there are much worse things that you're going to be hitting your head upon... such as the sharp metal edge of the glareshield, no matter how much padding you put on that will really matter.

In strong turbulence, your head is going nowhere near the handles or rollbar... it's going to smash straight upward into the canopy. I found that one out last week while crossing the mountains on my way to Idaho.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM

Default Single handle

I put a single handle on the center support bar, easy to reach, natural hand position either left or right and not a head knocker.
https://picasaweb.google.com/dbfiggi...77804293117538
Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM

MarkW, have you considered cutting the "intentionally designed rather long" handles down as the website suggests?
RV-4 N221TM (sold)
RV-7 N7721P