- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM

Default First Flight Report! (RV-7)

Yes it flew, but I had a few engine issues. Before I post everything that happened, I would really like to consult an A&P who is really good with lycoming/superior engines. If you would be willing to take a phone call from me I would really appreciate.

The good news is, The airplane is still in one piece and from what I can remember it flew great, I had a lot going on so there wasn't much time to "enjoy" it.

Heres a screenshot of the data download to get a glimpse, this happened on climb out.

Please if you would have a few minutes and could talk it would really help me out.

thanks

-david

Last edited by Flyguytki : 06-02-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congratulations!!

David, congratulations on the maiden flight

We need a "Grin" photo................

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 AM

David,
Congrats on first flight.
How was the run up??
Mag check
Fuel flow
Did you lean at 8:00 ???

Boomer

RV 7A--"MISS MARIE"--- N177WD (SOLD FLYING)72742
VAF #582-----------------EAA LIFETIME MEMBER
EX -KC-135A -------------BOOM OPERATOR #3633
VAN'S FLIGHT------------#6930

RETIRED————————-Enjoying life

See you in OSHKOSH

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ley&project=84

=VAF= 2006-2021 DUES PAID
Old 06-02-2013, 06:23 AM

It looks like you put the matter in your avatar to good use today David. Good job and congratulations.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 AM

David,

An easy starting point is to check the EGT probe connections for security and then trace the wiring from the starting point to its endpoint for chaffing or a shielding short.

Regards,

Robert
Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 AM

I would also like to know if there was obvious roughness or loss of power, or was this strictly something on the gauges. It looks like this was a little over a minute after adding full power. Even so, your rpm seems really low. Is the rpm correct, were you at just over 2000 rpm? Is this a new or newly rebuilt engine?

Bob
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Brand new engine, the engine was only producing 2080 rpm and by the time I realized that was all it had, ( I brought throttle in VERY slowly) I was already airborne and wasn't positive I had enough runway remaining, so I began a shallow climb out and when I turned crosswind I lost apx 1000 rpm (I thought it quite on me), I had not touched anything prior to this point, as soon as it happened, I turned hard back to the airport and pulled the throttle back, considered landing opposite however I was a good 1200 feet in the air and I never would have made it to the runway I was way to fast and high with the runway directly below. At this point with the throttle pulled back to 1/4 throttle or so and the power felt as if it came back and it was running smoother so I continued downwind, turned a tight base, final, dumped some flaps, engine was at a lower rpm and again running smoother, cleared the fence at about 90 knots and floated forever, but it was a beautiful touchdown :-).

When I shutdown I got many questions of "what was this reading". I could not tell you until I downloaded the data, as I keep looking back on it, from the second I thought the engine quit I do not recall looking inside.

Our initial thought ( prior to downloading data, however we did have a gopro looking at one of the screens showing the ems that we could watch at the airport) was that I had stopped making power on the #1 cylinder, because the egt cht starting to climb faster than the other 3 cylinders and then when I had the loss of power it dropped completely off. Also the exhaust is very black, ie very rich, so our reasoning for the cylinder not firing is a plugged injector or blockage somewhere in the cylinder, that would make force more fuel to the other cylinders making then rich, #1 plug looks normal, #234 are VERY black. We pulled the injectors in #1 even swapped then with another cylinder to see if when we did a run in the problem followed to the new cylinder but there was no change. And the max rpm is still 2080.

Please no speculation on what I did wrong, I need to know what's going in with the engine and that's all, I have to give a huge thank you to RVG8TOR as he was flying chase and took care of the tower for me ( no emergency declared but they let us do whatever we needed to get back in the ground) so once again thanks mike.

If you think you might be able to give some insight please give me a call if you would. Two one four 7 3 3 two two six two

-david

Last edited by Flyguytki : 06-02-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
David,
Congrats on first flight.
How was the run up??
Mag check
Fuel flow
Did you lean at 8:00 ???

Boomer
Runup was fine, very smooth, it ran smooth just wasn't producing full power until I had the drop in rpm, the the proverbial something hit the fan.

For those interested and to see if anyone can gain any insight, here is a link to the flight, and then the high speed taxi run after some troubleshooting. take a look

https://www.savvyanalysis.com/my-fli...f-ec73390ce7ea

Last edited by Flyguytki : 06-02-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM

This is a forum where we all come to discuss and learn and this looks like a perfect opportunity. Glad you made it back on the ground safely!

Appears to be fixed pitch with dual P-Mags from your website. Fuel flow at full throttle run up? Static rpm should be greater than 2,100. Exhaust valve sticking? Some good troubleshooting info here...

http://www.emagair.com/TroubleShoot%20V03s1.pdf

Last edited by Wayne Gillispie : 06-02-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up Well done

Good job , you kept flying the aircraft until it was back on the ground. Turning a bad situation around with a good outcome. I hope you get your engine sorted out soon.
Regards
Arie