Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Default Dynon Skyview shopping list ?

Hi folks,

for those who already installed a SV system this might be an easy one!

I live in the Netherlands and am about to order a Dynon SV system. I want to do it right the first time, not to spent too much money on double shipping cost in case of re-ordering. this also counts for the hassles with customs, and most important, i do not want to stop installing just because i have to wait for a part/cable/component which i had to re-order.

I am building an RV-8, ADAHRS goes in the back (behind baggage comp.), back up battery location not specified yet, GPS antenna location not specified yet, Engine monitoring for TITAN XIO-360 dual P-Mags,
I already have the 10 inch display.

This is my current shopping list:
1 SV-ADAHRS-200 ADAHRS modul
1 SV-GPS-250 GPS modul/antenna
1 SV-BAT-320 Backup battery
1 SV-NET-15CP Network cable, one open end, 15"
1 SV-EMS-220 Engine monitoring module
2 SV-NET-3CC Network cable 3" both connectors
1 EMSKIT-L4F Probes/sensors for Lyc(Fuel injected)
1 SV-XPNDR-261 Transponder ADS-B out compliant
1 SV-COM-C25/V COM Radio vertical
1 SV-INTERCOM-2S Intercom

did i miss anything?

Daida

Flying since 11th July 2020
Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 AM

I would add one Network Cable Hub, ADSB Module as well as an extra network cable just incase.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 AM

No autopilot servos?

I was able to use a long SV network cable and cut it up into shorter lengths as necessary. Just need to buy some D-sub 9 pin female/male pins, connectors and shells, and the crimper tools. Same goes with the autopilot harness. The single 20' harness was plenty long to get both servos connected up to a common hub. The hubs make wiring really easy. I had 8 of the AXIS-9A 9-pin hubs (free design download on makerplane.org) built for about $100. Much cheaper than the Dynon hub and it is identical electronically.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2020 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM

The ADS-B module is only useful in the USA, so please don't add one of those

You may want to add fuel flow.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguytki View Post
I would add one Network Cable Hub, ADSB Module as well as an extra network cable just incase.
I would add two of of these. I mounted one back by the pitch servo where both ADHRS and the pitch servo are plugged into it. The other is on the sub-panel where everything else is connected.

Also order an extra long cable to go from the hub in back to the hub on the sub-panel.

That makes wiring the thing MUCH easier!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM

You might want to rethink your comm radio. The Dynon Comm radio only has 25khz spacing. Europe is in the process of switching to 8.33khz spacing requirement.

http://www.universalweather.com/blog...ing-to-europe/
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Depending on what navigation device you want to display, if any, on the Skyview (Garmin 430, Gaarmin SL30 etc) you may need the ARINC 429 module. Definitely get the fuel flow.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Get onto Stein and buy a dozed DB-9 shells and a half-dozen male and female connectors, and a bunch of pins. If you're able to fab your own custom-length cable, you'll be happier than waiting for one to arrive.

And as Dynon has said, get yourself a red-cube fuel flow module too. Easier to install it now than wish you'd done it afterwards.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 PM

Default Dynon shopping list

Your current shopping list:
1 SV-ADAHRS-200 ADAHRS module
1 SV-GPS-250 GPS module/antenna
1 SV-BAT-320 Backup battery
1 SV-NET-15CP Network cable, one open end, 15"
1 SV-EMS-220 Engine monitoring module
2 SV-NET-3CC Network cable 3" both connectors
1 EMSKIT-L4F Probes/sensors for Lyc(Fuel injected)
1 SV-XPNDR-261 Transponder ADS-B out compliant
1 SV-COM-C25/V COM Radio vertical
1 SV-INTERCOM-2S Intercom

First, don't get the 2 SV-NET-3CC as you can make them from the 30 foot one cheaper. I would change the SV-NET-15CP to the SV-NET-30CP. That way you can cut it to the length's that you need. Get some pins, connectors and covers from Stein so you can finish them up. On the 30 foot cable you have one end complete and one just with pins on the end with connector and cover. That should be plenty to connect the units together. You will need a long cable to go back to the ADHARS, one to the EMS box, and one to connect to the COMM head. You might get 2 HUB's, one to connect the first three together up behind the panel and one to put inline from the SkyView display and ADHARS, somewhere you might want to place the autopilot servos if you would like to add now or at a later date. Easier to install now. Also, if you think you would like to add an autopilot, run a 20 gage black, red and yellow wire with a little slack for the the autopilot servos if interested. Easier to add wire now, just in case later you decide to add an autopilot.

Now for the EMA stuff. Yes you will need a Red Cube for fuel flow, which is not included in the EMS KIT.

As for the COMM radio, I talked to Dynon when they announced the COMM radio about the 8.33 kHz spacing, and at that time they were not planning on it, but might in the future, so plan according. Maybe find another small one which might have the 8.33 kHz spacing as a second COMM.

The rest looks good.

You will like the system when it is installed and running.

Brian

Last edited by Pdtofly : 03-04-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM

No Auto Pilot? If so remember the servo's and wiring. If not ok. I mounted my GPS between the seats on the seat back rail. Ran the wire along with the Flap wiring. Sees the sky all the time works great.
I hope you clear skies

Dave