camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM

That sounds like a great idea, Figs.
RV-4 N221TM (sold)
RV-7 N7721P
Dues Current through July 2017, double the minimum gladly paid in spite of DR's offer to waive them for veterans.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 PM

There is a good selection of grab handles at Home Depot in the cabinet section. It might be difficult to fit them to the roll bar on an already built slider as you need access to the "backside" of the bar, 180 degrees out from the handle position.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Tango Mike,
I was going to install them through the first layer of the rollbar as the website olso suggests. They would not necessary be too long but still a bit dangerous.
I may still install them especially on the passenger side to keep newcomers from damaging the fairing.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
I bought a set of those handles but am afraid of what they could do to my forehead so they have not been installed. I would like a better idea.
+1 for this concern. Those look like a cranial basher for sure! Ouch!

I do not have any pics to show but when I enter the cockpit I place my right hand (sitting in the left seat) on the seat back crossbar between the seats. I step onto the seat with my right foot. Lift my left foot over the side rail and slide it down to the floor. As I am sliding my left foot down to the floor I place my left hand onto the side rail. Now, with my left hand on the side rail and my right hand on the seat back crossbar, I am supporting my weight with both arms. I can then slide my right foot down to the floor and sit down. Very easy!

Getting out I pretty much reverse the sequence except that instead of placing my right hand on the seat back crossbar I reach over to the right side rail and place it there. This gives me all the leverage I need to raise all my weight up using my upper body as it is supported by both the left and right side rail. I step into the seat with my right foot then out onto the wing walk with my left, followed by the right, and I am out. Easy Peezy!

Live Long and Prosper!
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM

I try to keep my Oregon Aero cloth seat cushions as clean as possible.

In my -7A, to sit in the pilot's side, I slip off my left shoe, step on the seat with my left foot, grab the roll bar support with my right hand, swing my right leg through and down to the rudder pedal, lower myself into the seat and, most importantly, reach out and grab my left shoe to put it on. It helps greatly to wear slip-ons or velcro close shoes when I fly.

For the passenger side, I just lay a towel on the seat cushion so I can wash it on occasion.

I never was a fan of the handles. Just don't give me the warm fuzzies.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM

I have the same 2 handles in my 7 slider and they are fantastic, In a crash, as long as you have belts on they should not be a concern, if you hit those, expect to be hit by the much larger roll bar at the same time. Also when getting in and out your head comes no where near them, Personally they are only there to help you and in no way can hurt you. Just my opinion tho, of course.

-david
Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 PM

MarkW,

I have to admit that I didn't think much about the possibility of coming into violent contact with the handles when I asked this question. And in getting in and out of my friend's -7, I use exactly the same techniques mentioned by others, and they work.

The rear edge of the cushions on my friend's -7 seem to be especially low, and in combination with the higher side rails, it creates the feeling of sitting in a rather deep hole. The first hand placements for exit as described by RVbySDI require a slightly awkward vertical shove upward. It's not that much of a problem for me, but could be for some passengers, and I'm just thinking out loud about how I might be able to ease that transition up and out if I end up buying a -7 I'm considering. Dealing with another factor, however, may ease this concern.

From my fighter-pilot days, sitting low in a cockpit isn't comfortable. I use an extra cushion under the seats in my -6 so that the top of my headset is close to the canopy. I always strap in tight, but just in case I should encounter turbulence, I've covered the top of my Bose headset with moleskin to help prevent scratching the canopy if I come into contact with it. Adding cushions to the -7 might make the exiting easier during the initial rise up and out of the seat.
RV-4 N221TM (sold)
RV-7 N7721P
Dues Current through July 2017, double the minimum gladly paid in spite of DR's offer to waive them for veterans.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 PM

I haven't tried this, as the people I know with side-by-side sliders all have handles... but could you turn your hand palm-up, and grip the roll bar from the underside with your fingers?

(I've always liked that my tip-up seems to have about double the entry/exit space of the sliders... And you can lean heavily on the roll bar while getting in/out.)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Rob,

Not sure I am picturing your suggested grip on the roll bar, but my initial impression is that I don't want to be grabbing onto the bar anywhere near the windscreen frame. I've been cautioned about bumping the vertical portion of the frame with my feet where it meets the side rails because it's relatively fragile. It just seems best to stay away from them.

The narrowing of the entry space is definitely a factor. From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the smallest group of people in the world consists of those who are ambivalent about which canopy option is best.

I have a tip-up on my -6, and the potential for wind grabbing it and ruining my day is the part I dislike the most. As for now, the nod has to go to the slider, and it's one of the factors on the plus side of considering this particular -7.
RV-4 N221TM (sold)
RV-7 N7721P
Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Mike View Post
Rob,

Not sure I am picturing your suggested grip on the roll bar, but my initial impression is that I don't want to be grabbing onto the bar anywhere near the windscreen frame. I've been cautioned about bumping the vertical portion of the frame with my feet where it meets the side rails because it's relatively fragile. It just seems best to stay away from them.

The narrowing of the entry space is definitely a factor. From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the smallest group of people in the world consists of those who are ambivalent about which canopy option is best.

I have a tip-up on my -6, and the potential for wind grabbing it and ruining my day is the part I dislike the most. As for now, the nod has to go to the slider, and it's one of the factors on the plus side of considering this particular -7.

I believe he is talking about the center support that comes through the top skin and connects at the top of the roll bar in the center. Its as simple as grabbing onto the support and pulling yourself up.

The only part of the entire roll bar structure i would be worried about breaking would be the fiberglass overhang that creates the seal between the windscreen and the slider itself. If you can move or break the structrue by pulling on it what will it do when it has to do its job when your upside down?