- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 AM

Default Skygeek dehydrator plugs

Am I nuts? I have been using the typical dehydrator plugs for my 6 cyl IO540. They are of this design:

http://www.skygeek.com/ms27215-2.html

I've been replacing the dessicant often lately as the engine is essentially "open" to the world (mounted with FAB on, pipes installed, etc). To replace the desiccant, I remove the dehydrators from the cylinders, remove the beads from the plastic casing of the plugs, and then heat the beads in the oven until they turn blue. On a recent episode of this process, I went to place a plug back into the cylinder and I suddenly saw the bead level change I realized that the gold disc inside the dehydrator plug had slipped down and stopped at the top of the cylinder! I carefully unscrewed the plugs "top" and with the beads sitting on top of the disc, I used a tweezers to pull each bead off. I managed to do this without dropping a bead passed the disc and into the cylinder. The whole experience reinforced my belief that the design of these plugs seems flawed. So, I placed an order with Skygeek for these:

http://www.skygeek.com/dehydrator-pl...ms27215-1.html

Having just received them, I'm glad to see that there doesn't seem to be a way for the beads to ever escape and go down a cylinder. Whew. I also noticed that the desiccant is already pink Now the problem: How the heck do you get the beads out of this design to dry them in the oven? There doesn't seem to be any way to unscrew anything. Can i put the whole thing in the oven at 250F for hours...or will i return to an upset wife and a pile of melted plastic? I'll admit, it's been a long day and I'm tired. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
David
Portland, OR
Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 AM

David, sorry I'm not much help on how to change out the beads on the new plugs but if you figure it out here's a link to 1 quart of desiccant beads for 11$. I replaced my plugs every week for months and still have over half the quart left. For me the ease of just throwing the pink ones away and pouring in new was worth the 11$ for me. You may feel other wise, sorry for the thread drift.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OU...sr=8-2&pi=SL75

-david
Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 AM

Try pushing the "filter" in at the edge hopefully causing the opposite side to tip out a bit where you should be able to grab it with needle nose pliers/ leatherman etc and pull it out.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Saw the end off and get some plastic caps then you can easily pour the stuff out and heat it and replace it. I tried putting the whole thing in the oven and the plastic melted.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Skygeek dehydrator plugs

The ones I got from Skygeek have a plastic tube secured by a wire retainer and a brass cap. Simply push/pivot the brass cap to the side. Don't remove the wire or cap from the white screw in base. The plastic tube with desiccant slips off easily. Bake the desiccant crystals in a metal pan for 250 deg for 10 minutes and reassemble all.
fuselage/FF
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM

Greetings dhmoose,

I think ninerhawk is on the right track, here?particularly in the baking of the beads at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. Of course ovens bake differently according to different altitudes so the times may vary. Also, ninerhawk, is the plug you have the same plug with the same part number? In order to best help dhmoose out it?ll help in knowing if we?re all talking about the same plug (MS27215-1).

Flyguytki, I agree that if the beads are pink and do not change back after being put in the oven, buying more beads may help. However, you have to be careful. The -1 seems to be reusable but not refillable according to the spec (I?m not 100% on this but just be careful). Unfortunately, this plug is not from some known manufacturer like Continental or 3M or a place you can contact customer service. It is made by the military. Good luck trying to go through all the chains of command to find your answer?

Bevan has some good advice as well. Based on the links you provided, dhmoose, I searched around skygeek?s site and found some things. If you go to the ?Reviews? tab in the following link you will see the problem with emptying and refilling, so I guess you are not alone in having issues:

I also roamed the site and found that a blog post was made on dehydrator plugs. Heck, they even feature a disassembled image of the MS2715-1:

http://blog.skygeek.com/2013/03/dehydrator-plugs/

Who knows, some additional info might be of help to you on that post and that image may help you re-assemble it?

Wilddog, not sure sawing off the end is a good idea if you plan on reusing. Plus, when heating in the oven, only the beads need to be placed in the oven, otherwise?well burnt plastic don?t smell nice.

Finally, dhmoose, you said it in your post, you were tired so you may have missed something that a good night sleep and a fresh pair of eyes may have remedied. Anyway, sorry for the long post, just want to be thorough?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarenheim19 View Post
Greetings dhmoose,

I think ninerhawk is on the right track, here?particularly in the baking of the beads at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. Of course ovens bake differently according to different altitudes so the times may vary. Also, ninerhawk, is the plug you have the same plug with the same part number? In order to best help dhmoose out it?ll help in knowing if we?re all talking about the same plug (MS27215-1).

Indeed. It seems like there are various plug designs and what I recevied is the first I've seen that appears to be a sealed unit. This is unlike the wire/cap design or the two plastic pieces that unscrew from one another.

Flyguytki, I agree that if the beads are pink and do not change back after being put in the oven, buying more beads may help. However, you have to be careful. The -1 seems to be reusable but not refillable according to the spec (I?m not 100% on this but just be careful). Unfortunately, this plug is not from some known manufacturer like Continental or 3M or a place you can contact customer service. It is made by the military. Good luck trying to go through all the chains of command to find your answer?

Bevan has some good advice as well. Based on the links you provided, dhmoose, I searched around skygeek?s site and found some things. If you go to the ?Reviews? tab in the following link you will see the problem with emptying and refilling, so I guess you are not alone in having issues:

I also roamed the site and found that a blog post was made on dehydrator plugs. Heck, they even feature a disassembled image of the MS2715-1:

Who knows, some additional info might be of help to you on that post and that image may help you re-assemble it?

I saw this...but again, I can't see a way to separate the two pieces. My old plugs were of this variety....but these new ones aren't. They appear to be a single piece of plastic.

Wilddog, not sure sawing off the end is a good idea if you plan on reusing. Plus, when heating in the oven, only the beads need to be placed in the oven, otherwise?well burnt plastic don?t smell nice.

Actually, this idea is the most realistic! I can see this as a solution that would make it easy to recharge the beads and still not worry about dropping beads into the cylinders. It just seems odd to have to resort to sawing the darn thing into two!

Finally, dhmoose, you said it in your post, you were tired so you may have missed something that a good night sleep and a fresh pair of eyes may have remedied. Anyway, sorry for the long post, just want to be thorough?
Responses are in red above
Portland, OR
Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 PM

Wink Dehydrator plugs

David

If you look carefully at the disassembled image, you will see that there are threads on the cap so I guess you could just un-screw the cap off..

My $0.02

Bruno
Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM

Default I wish

Bruno, I wish the plugs I received look like the image you linked to. My plugs look like these:

D
Portland, OR

Last edited by dhmoose : 06-27-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM

I have been TOLD, but I don't KNOW (and I haven't even slept in a Holiday Inn recently) that one should not use a GAS oven for replenishing these beads. CH4 + O2 = CO2 & H2O. The H2O will keep the beads hydrated so use an ELECTRIC oven. That being said, I have the one quart of the blue beads that I swap when the installed ones turn pink which is only occasionally as the engine is sealed up. I just save the pink ones and if I ever have to replenish them (doubtful) I will use my ELECTRIC oven.