- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM

Default Cell phone bluetooth ?

I was just curious if pilots who are using cell phones in the cockpit enough to appreciate a blue tooth connection. Please, I wish to hear from pilots that are using blue tooth that are happy with it or not using very much and won't do it again. Thanks, Larry
I am pondering updating my 9000ex to the current blue tooth level so to except the Iphone4. Convenience of phone use versus going through the set up before each flight?

Last edited by Larco : 01-24-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added reason for curiousity
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM

I use the Bluetooth feature of the Zulu headsets with my iPhone--works great, use it all the time. People I talk to can't tell I'm in the airplane.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Builder & Avionics Installer)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hatch View Post
I use the Bluetooth feature of the Zulu headsets with my iPhone--works great, use it all the time. People I talk to can't tell I'm in the airplane.
Same with my Zulu and Blackberry phone. It is a great way to pick up an IFR clearance when on the ground and out of radio range of ATC. Phone clarity is as if I was sitting inside the FBO, not in the airplane with the engine running. AND, since I have 6+hrs of music on the phone I can listen to my tunes while on long cross country flights without wires dangling everywhere.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM

Same here. I've got a Zulu headset and an iPhone. I've made/received a few calls and the quality is fantastic. Most people can't tell the difference.

As others have mentioned, I also like the ability to listen to music stored on my iPhone via the Bluetooth connection.

FWIW
Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 PM

that is really cool stuff, cruizin along calling friends, they say , what you up to, not much, 180 mph over lake okeechobee, doin a roll. no way!!!!!
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 AM

You guys actually get good cell signals while airborne? I have to be fairly LOW to get a good enough signal.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM

Anybody using Pilot Blulink. It seems a bit pricey so wondering if it is worth the $250.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM

Default not recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
Anybody using Pilot Blulink. It seems a bit pricey so wondering if it is worth the $250.
I've owned my Pilot BluLink for over a year. Performance has been poor, customer service much worse.

They are very finicky as to which headsets and which radios they will work with.

Detailed testing and review here:
www.meyette.us/BluLink.htm
2001 Quad City Challenger II LW - N28RT SOLD

www.meyette.us/RV-7Ahome.htm
Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM

I have a PAR 100EX and have used the Bluetooth feature for the phone numerous times. The sound quality is excellent and the pairing is seamless. I also have an Ipad mounted on the panel which I stream music through quite often just so I am not draining my phone battery. The PS Engineering products make it very simple and works great every time.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 AM

I use the bluetooth feature on my Zulu headset all the time. Mostly, it's to listen to the music on my iPhone, but I have also made phone calls with it. The clarity is great and I haven't had any issues with it.

As for cell signal, it really depends on where you are. I can be at 6000 over Sacramento and it won't work, but I was at 23,000 over Klamath Falls and it worked. Go figure.