-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-06-2020, 01:21 PM

This is extremely timely, I'm just about to buy my panel suite. I thought I was done deciding, but hearing about people's experiences, particularly with known but uncommunicated issues, is very helpful.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
I know this is an opinionated question. I have a friend that got an estimate on his dream panel and like always, it was way more than he had hoped. He has always flown behind Garmin , I have a VFR Dynon panel and he is looking for IFR.
My question, has anyone gone from being a Garmin customer to Dynon and regretted the move? Have you switched and are happy with your switch.
Since this is a personnel choice and if you would like to keep this personnel, please PM me and it will stay that way.
Thanks Ron
Apples to apples the price is not going to be much different.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 11-06-2020, 01:36 PM

I'll say one last thing: I can't make any representations as to how Garmin communicates issues on their experimental line so I could find out that they are no different. I don't know. And I do understand that the GTN-650 is certified so comparing it to experimental electronics would be unfair. It's definitely true that "you get what you pay for" and the 650 wasn't a cheap piece of equipment.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 11-06-2020, 05:01 PM

I have a full G3Xt setup + GTN-650xi in my panel. The plane is 26 months old and has 642 hours as of this afternoon. I have flown it across continents, including over big water, and amazon rainforest. I've flow real IFR to minimums, including one "****, this is worse than I thought" moment. I trust the Garmin setup with my life and that of my family. It has worked as expected every time.

I've had one or two odd bugs and I have reached out to g3xpert and their support has been attentive, understanding, and interested in gathering as much data as possible to solve the problem. None of the issues I've had have been life threatening, just a sensor filtering annoyance and a self-induced wiring problem. I've never felt that they were hiding any life threatening issues, and honestly, for an aircraft I fly in IMC, if I had an autopilot randomly begin un-commanded descents that plane would be grounded and I'd need a lot of convincing to trust it again. That s***t will kill you.

This is just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it I strongly recommend you not buy anything until you have sat behind it all first, possibly flown it. We have a fantastic community and I bet you can convince someone nearby to show you their goodies.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:32 AM

The fact that there's a g3xpert monitoring this site and NO DYxpert, ADVxpert, GRTxpert nor MGLxpert says something.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:01 AM

I think Dynon has been putting a lot of energy into getting their products STCs for the cert. world. Their service has been good for me (but not great). I have noticed a few things in this battle lately...

1. The fact that Garmin is monitoring this site regularly is a big plus for Garmin.

2. Some big name YouTube builders have gone Garmin. Think this doesn't affect peoples decision? Think again...

3. They have an IFR navigator lineup and people assume it will be easier to integrate in a Garmin system.

In short, in my mind, Garmin is currently spanking Dynon. Am I biased? No, I installed the Skyview system; just sharing what I have noticed. In the end both are excellent but Dynon appears to be losing the battle from what I have seen. My 0.02 cents
I can see the light!
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 11-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Dynon appears to be losing the battle from what I have seen.
We're all in this together. Experimental aviation benefits greatly from there being competition in this space. Heck, I hope someone else comes up with a new thing that we all want to keep pushing the incumbent players to do better
Old 11-07-2020, 02:53 PM

Disclaimer: I seem to hold a minority opinion here!
‘Fully integrated system’. Today all systems are ‘well integrated’. e.g. my GRT EFIS, Trio autopilot, Garmin 420W, Trig transponder/adsb will fly the airplane right to the runway centerline, with just a few button pushes. But I have to enter the airport ID, and push a few buttons, on the 420. My efis won’t do that for me. My efis is capable of pushing ILS frequencies to the SL30, but I haven’t hooked it up. As a long time cfii it’s my feeling that physically touching a knob, as opposed to letting automation do the work, helps keep pilots in the loop - more likely to be pilots than passengers.
All of the systems are good. And all of them require hours, not minutes, of practice, to become proficient at.
It’s important for buyers to try to understand failure modes. They all have them, but may be hard to ferret out. What happens if there’s a buss fault? Or RS232, or ARINC? If main buss power fails, what happens? Is my entire panel dependent on one software code?
Cost. You’ll notice no one claims Garmin is cheaper, only that it’s ‘competitive’ or ‘only a little more’. Each individual needs to decide how much ‘a little’ means to themselves.
On the issue of a VAF presence: it would be wrong to think that Dynon or GRT don’t hear, very quickly, of any issues raised here wrt their equipment.
Everyone is different, which is why everyone (me too) thinks their choices were the right ones. Just be sure to consider the many factors beyond a pretty picture.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The fact that there's a g3xpert monitoring this site and NO DYxpert, ADVxpert, GRTxpert nor MGLxpert says something.
It says is that that g3expert is a member of this forum. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMHO monitoring a specific brand INTERNET site, for whatever reason, has little importance. The world, including aviation, is much bigger than these individual dedicated INTERNET sites. Performance, support and price are what matters.

2020 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 11-07-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:26 PM

My dynon panel integrates very well with my Garmin navigator. I’ve found Dynon really easy to work with in terms of wiring and setup. Garmin provides excellent tech support. I prefer Dynon now for my PFD having also flown a G1000. I wouldn’t worry about mixing them together. I will say the experimental G3X Vs experimental Dynon are comparable in price and features, BUT the Dynon autopilot is excellent and very inexpensive. I have not really looked into what a comparable Garmin setup would look like, but I’ve heard that Dynon’s autopilot is a really good value