-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:56 PM

I just recently went through the panel vendor decision and ultimately ended up with Garmin. Here is why:

1. GRT was a front runner until I realized they don't have any kind of skyview network or canbus network. Everything is serial and everything is wired to everything else which is why they have 12 serial ports. I also didn't like that the touch panel was kinda touch, but not really. More like a few limited things work with touch, everything else is buttons. Didn't feel that consistent. When I looked at the documentation and compared it to Garmin, it wasn't even close anymore.

2. Dynon has the skyview network, the documentation is much nicer, and they do support a yaw servo, as well as AP trim support. They also support various remote boxes like ADS-b and comm on their network. Overall, dynon looks fine, but I'm not building an RV, and my airplane needs a really good yaw function to work and several other builders struggled to make the autopilot work well.

3. Garmin has really nice autopilot servos that are not only lighter, but have trim control built in. Trim wired into the servo itself so it's integrated with servo and controlled over can bus. If you loose a screen, any other device in the network that has AP functionality can run the autopilot. The documentation is absolutely top notch. Everything integrates.

At the end of the day garmin and dynon were within a grand of each other for my setup, and just the AP differences were worth that to me.

If you can't compare the screens, compare the documentation:

https://grtavionics.com//media/10-1-...nual-Rev-A.pdf

https://dynonavionics.com/includes/g...v_AG-v15_4.pdf

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_am.pdf
Old 11-05-2020, 04:50 PM

As others have said-have you looked at Advanced (owned by dynon)? Feel more solid than either to me, fantastic support,etc. Also, I prefer the Avidyne line over the Garmin for GPS/NAV/Com so that wasn't a factor for me.

All great products- can't go wrong with any of them.
Inspection coming
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid
Old 11-05-2020, 04:59 PM

I had a very similar experience at the Dynon tent several years back. The salesman really didn't take the time to show me the system in the way that Garmin did. It was a definite turn off.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidocs View Post
I had a very similar experience at the Dynon tent several years back. The salesman really didn't take the time to show me the system in the way that Garmin did. It was a definite turn off.
If you ever get the chance to sit in a booth for a week being asked the same questions hour after hour you will get a little tired of it after a while. I know it's your job but it still works on you. Also most of the guys talking about their product are engineers not sales people and don't have all the people skills a salesperson should have.
I only spent one weekend behind the counter and I never went back (different business of coarse)
AirCam flying
Old 11-05-2020, 08:08 PM

You need to also look at long term support cost and feature upgrades to thing like the IFR navigator. I have a bad taste in my mouth from my history with Garmin and the way they option things out.

I have and AFS system with and IFD540 in a quick panel configuration. The AFS integrates well the IFD. The quick panel make it so easy. At Christmas Seattle data products often has a a deal on lifetime maps and charts for like $799. That way I just buy the Nav data from Jepp for the IFD540 yearly 400 something. The IFD also support 2 and 3rd screens on the IPAD which is very nice, included in the jepp support also. The IFD is pretty nice vs the Garmin and from a feature standpoint a lot of standard stuff on the IFD is a spendy option on the Garmin.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1295 View Post
Try to get in front of both and see which one you like.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Everything else you hear and read, especially here, is just noise. Get some time in front of both systems and then decide which is best for YOU. There is a reason both systems have such strong following and owners have such strong opinions on their system. BOTH are an excellent choice.

FWIW: I installed the DYNON SkyView in my airplane back in 2013. With over 600hrs flying with it I am 100% convinced I made the right choice.

2020 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 11-06-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssturges View Post
The IFD is pretty nice vs the Garmin and from a feature standpoint a lot of standard stuff on the IFD is a spendy option on the Garmin.
Could you share which features are included on the Avidyne IFD that cost extra on the Garmin GTN?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
If you ever get the chance to sit in a booth for a week being asked the same questions hour after hour you will get a little tired of it after a while. I know it's your job but it still works on you. Also most of the guys talking about their product are engineers not sales people and don't have all the people skills a salesperson should have.
I only spent one weekend behind the counter and I never went back (different business of coarse)
Iíve done plenty of static displays with the jet at airshows, so I understand how the public can wear on you...but I never liked the guys who flew a jet to a show and buttoned it up without standing there to answer questions; itís part of the gig. It sucks, I get it.

But, when youíre selling $30,000 worth of equipment to somebody, youíve got to try, and if you donít, somebody else (Garmin) will, and will swipe your business. The G3X guys had to deal with just as many lookie-looís at OSH, and the reception was 180 out. Just my $30,000.02
Old 11-06-2020, 02:27 AM

I chose Garmin over Dynon due to several reasons.

First I worked at Solarimpulse (the big solar plane who flew around the world) and there we used the G3X (non-touch) system. It never glitched and was always working flawlessly even in the quite harsh environment. Neither the heat in Abu Dhabi nor the long flights at very very low temperatures in the unpressurized cockpit at FL280 was a probem for it. Thus I have quite some trust in the reliability. The only downside was the compass swing with a 220ft wingspan aircraft

Further I once built a Zenith 601 with my dad and we used some avionics we bought from a new dealer. But it soon failed and the company was also gone. No support or anything and we had to redo the panel... With a company like Garmin I assume they stay in business. Of course Dynon is meanwhile big enough to not fail very soon.

The haptics of the Garmin devices is just the best in my opinion. They have a great feel and feedback for knobs and everything feels very solid (in my opinion)

I have flown now for 5hrs with my G3X Setup and I am very happy with it. The only downside I can imagine is the weight. Those units are very heavy compared to other manufacturers.
RV-8 #83458 HB-YUA
Donation 2020 done
Old 11-06-2020, 01:10 PM

I own the full Dynon Skyview suite and if I was going to do it all again, I'd go with Garmin. So, I need to explain a couple of things:

When I was making the decision on what suite to buy back in 2012-2013, Garmin didn't have a product for the experimental market or I would have bought it. I've always been a Garmin guy and owned their first aviation GPS navigator (PRO-100) for my Piper Dakota in the early 90s. Since then, I've owned two G-1000 equipped planes and currently have a GTN-650 in my panel of my -8. I consider Garmin avionics to be well designed, engineered and built.

But having said the above, I'm generally pleased with my Dynon suite except for two things:

1. Of all my electronics, I've had to return or replace more of their stuff than any other thing I have in my panel. This includes the displays (D-700s then), the EMS (caused lots of RF interference), the autopilot button panel (trim controller just quit working), and now my autopilot auto trim has this disturbing desire to initiate uncommanded descents.

2. In almost all (maybe all) of the above cases, when I ask about this on the forum, I get the "that's a well known bug" answer. Dynon has never refused to fix or replace the items. Their support (once you ask about the issue) is outstanding. And the fact that you have to ask first and that there's no list of "well known bugs" for owners to see is a HUGE problem in my opinion. The fact that they know that one of their pieces of equipment will sporadically induce an uncommanded descent and they don't tell anyone about it? That's a big, big deal.

Now not owning much Garmin gear right now, I can't vouch for their support, but I can say this, I haven't had to pull the 650 out of the panel since the day I installed it.

I realize I'm being critical of a vendor, but I think it's justified. Here we go....
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com