- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:06 PM

Default Dynon verses Garmin

I know this is an opinionated question. I have a friend that got an estimate on his dream panel and like always, it was way more than he had hoped. He has always flown behind Garmin , I have a VFR Dynon panel and he is looking for IFR.
My question, has anyone gone from being a Garmin customer to Dynon and regretted the move? Have you switched and are happy with your switch.
Since this is a personnel choice and if you would like to keep this personnel, please PM me and it will stay that way.
Thanks Ron
AirCam flying
Old 11-04-2020, 04:14 PM

You'll find between the major manufacturers that the price of equipment isn't that far off from one another. So a G3X/GTN IFR panel can cost very close to an HDX/Avidyne or HDX/GTN IFR panel. Both manufacturers have spreadsheets on their website to provide a general idea of cost (but keep in mind Dynon does not make an IFR certified navigator, so your friend will need to make his choice there as well).

Of course, depending on the vendor there may be a lot of other services provided (switches, CBs, laser engrave/panel cut, etc....) That can highly affect the cost of the total package.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:46 AM

If the reason he is picking one versus the other is price, I would pay special attention to make sure they are comparing oranges to oranges. I've priced this out a few times in the past few years and they always come in within a couple hundred dollars of each other. It's easy to miss something as these are complex systems.

I recommend reaching out to a vendor experienced with both and ask them for help. Stein in particular is really good at that and worth a phone call.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:42 AM

Although I fall on the Dynon side, both systems are good and as mentioned price would not be my determining factor between the two. Try to get in front of both and see which one you like.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:47 AM

This is an important point. You'll be spending $30k+ on this, don't do it without having some time in front of each system. They aren't all the same.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Definitely in the Dynon camp here, but primarily because I like the business approach of Dynon versus Garmin. They have the same functionality except for the certified navigator, but Dynon is a lot easier to deal with than Big G.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:53 AM

I updated the panel in my Rocket last year. The original panel was a VFR combo of first gen Dynon (D100/EMS 10) and Garmin radios. My first choice was to stay VFR and stick with Dynon because I knew it and thought the Garmin would be more expensive. As scope creep snuck in and the plan changed to a basic IFR setup I started looking more at the Garmin solutions. I spent hours going back and forth at each companies booths at Sun N Fun. In the end I chose Garmin, due primarily to the more complete integration in the total system. Im very happy with the results.
F1 Rocket #25
N14ZM "Dreamer"
Melboring, FL
Old 11-05-2020, 12:03 PM

I made this decision last year, and the choice was made for me at Oshkosh. Id flown behind Dynon Skyview and it was a good system. The buttons felt cheap, but functionality was great.

I stopped at the Garmin tent, and the Garmin tech gave me an hour long walk through of all their products, despite my being squarely in tire kicker territory. I told him I wasnt ready to buy a system, but he still gave me the full pitch.

The next year, I received the same treatment from Garmin. I was pretty excited about the upgrade. After Garmin, I walked over to the Dynon both, and explained that I was looking to upgrade my -8, and asked for the tour. The salesman saw the Garmin bag I was holding and said Have you got the Garmin tour? Ours does the same thing. Pick the one you like the look of. And went back to eating his lunch.

I never went back. Ive been thrilled with my Garmin system and the support from the G3Xpert team.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:25 PM

I'm working on my panel right now in my Lancair. I am going Garmin for one big reason, I can get the audio panel and comm units all remote mounted and control them through the G3X screen. It makes for a really clean setup. If Dynon offered it then I would probably go that way as I currently have older Dynon units that work great.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbs View Post
I'm working on my panel right now in my Lancair. I am going Garmin for one big reason, I can get the audio panel and comm units all remote mounted and control them through the G3X screen. It makes for a really clean setup. If Dynon offered it then I would probably go that way as I currently have older Dynon units that work great.
If you go with Advanced Flight Systems screens (with Dynon LRU backend) you can do what you're seeking...