Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2020, 10:54 PM

I'm planning on waiting until the plane is in the hangar before fitting the wings. I have no room to fit them in the garage, and my driveway is sloped, so it would be rather difficult to fit them at home anyway.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass. Fuselage, wiring, and canopy complete. IO-360-M1B mounted. Working on cowl and baffles.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
I found it much easier to do in the comfort of my home shop (with tools and heat) than it would have been at the new unheated hanger in January. My goal was to get as close to an 'assembly project' at the airport rather than fabrication. It worked extremely well with a fairly quick final assembly at the airport.
That?s my goal too, given that all of my candidate airports are about 45 minutes away. I want to do as much at home as I possibly can before going to the airport, so I installed the wings to do some fitting and drilling and running fuel lines. I?ll probably put them on again to verify wiring and such before the trip to the airport.

Anything that has to be done after the move comes with 1.5 hours of driving. Ideally, I?ll get there, bolt the wings and tail on, and run the engine.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 AM

I believe I will try to do the same. My shop is nice, clean and at home. I believe I might be able to do one wing at a time in the shop; no problem doing both in the garage if I choose. (But our cars may have to sit outside during that time.)
Old 03-17-2020, 06:04 AM

I put mine on in the shop and did all the hook ups, fitting and adjusting. Highly recommend.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:10 PM

The instruction video Vans sells it says it is better to test fit/drill the wings at the stage stated in the manual. The point is that you want to do this before the aircraft is on its wheels.
It seems to be easier to align the aircraft (and keep it like that) while it is on a stable supporting structure.
Chairman NVAV (EAA chapter 664 - Dutch experimental aircrafts builders)
Member EAA
Member AOPA
Old 03-19-2020, 07:18 AM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

I set the wings long before the fuselage was completed. Much easier to reach things. I used hardware store 1/4" bolts in the outside and inside four holes on each wing. Those are so far apart that alignment is going to be fine once the close tolerance bolts are used.

I set the fuselage on blocks without the landing gear and leveled everything. Wings were installed and the sweep and alignment was adjusted and holes in rear spar drilled. Everything was rechecked after painting and final assembly and was perfect. Close tolerance bolts went in with ease.

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo
Old 03-29-2020, 06:14 PM

Default Me too

I have not installed the wings except for a trial a few years ago. I have rented a hanger and transported all painted parts there for assembly. So far so good.

Dave
Wings complete

Dynon installed and running
Fuse closer to completion, Canopy complete
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed