What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 stall speed - accurate or likely pitot/static error?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
RV-9 stall speed - Vso (solo)? + do mine look about right?

Does anyone know what Van's no flaps solo weight stall speed is? On their website, they provide the numbers solo and gross for what I assume are flaps down speeds (Vso), but can't find equivalent numbers for flaps up stall speed (Vs) at solo weight.

Went out and did a full stall series and am interested by the IAS's I was seeing compared to the book IAS speeds Van's provides. I'm curious whether my lower indicated stall speed for Vso is what other RV-9/9A's see and whether that's just indicative IAS inaccuracies at such low speeds, whether it's a function of my relatively low empty weight (1039# me, 1057# Vans), whether I likely have a significant pitot and/or static error, and/or whether I have to be more careful at what altitude I do them. (I did mine at about 5000-5500 ft density altitude. Anyone know at what altitude Van's does theirs?)

If you fly a 9 or 9A do my indicated speeds seem in the ballpark compared to yours when you're at 5000 ft density?:
Vso: Vans = 44mph/38kts (solo weight); My plane = 40mph/35kts (solo weight = 180# + full fuel)
Vs: Vans = (can't find Van's Vs numbers for solo weight); My plane = 50 mph/43kts (solo weight = 180# + full fuel)

FWIW, though my GPS speeds seem to match up pretty well with my indicated and true airspeeds when the wind is factored in during cruise, I haven't had a chance yet to really check my IAS in general using the 3-way or 4-way tests and their associated formulas.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks to me numbers are all over the place and the most likely cause is pitot geometry. Because of this, IAS is meaningless from plane to plane, and determining an accurate calibration factor at the lower airspeeds is practically "mission impossible".

It is what it is for YOUR plane, what else matters and what's a few mph between friends?????

Looks to me numbers are all over the place and the most likely cause is pitot geometry. Because of this, IAS is meaningless from plane to plane, and determining an accurate calibration factor at the lower airspeeds is practically "mission impossible".

It is what it is for YOUR plane, what else matters and what's a few mph between friends?????
+1, The stall speed for your airplane is extremely important for you in your airplane. Your stall speed in your airplane is not that important for me in my airplane. And vice verse.

Back