What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Creative Solution to Oshkosh Ground Transportation?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
When Louise and I go to Oshkosh, we have a pretty good deal on a hotel in Appleton. As a matter of fact, since Louise works the show for her employer, and there is a required morning briefing at the hotel at 0700, she pretty much HAS to stay in Appleton. Transportation is provided every morning and evening, but on their timetable ? not ours. Because so much happens at the show ?after hours?, it is nice to have our own ground transportation to allow flexibility ? but flying in and renting a car in the immediate area is just prohibitive for the week. Last year, we had family business in St. Paul before and after the show, so we flew one airplane there, rented a car (for a TON less money), and one drove to KOSH while the other flew. That worked out pretty well, but it is not a short drive.

This year, we really want to take two airplanes to the show, seeing as how it?s a big year for RV?s. I am wondering if anyone out there in VAF land has a creative solution that could get us a car for the week without having to spend as much as we would on a new Comm radio. If anyone has any secrets they don?t want to share publicly, there is always the PM option?. ;)

If nothing else, this might generate discussion on how far away (from KOSH) you have to go to get a good car rental deal....

Paul

craigslist?

Maybe try putting an add on Craigslist for a personal car rental from someone in the area looking to snag a few bucks? could be a possibility!

We are taking a huge RV rockstar type down this year :D moving up in the ranks of transportation!

2013 = flying in (just not ready for it this year)

Good topic of convo though, I know it is always an arm and a leg to get rentals near by.

<snip>
If nothing else, this might generate discussion on how far away (from KOSH) you have to go to get a good car rental deal....
Paul

Chicago rates don't seem to be affected by KOSH. Rented last year in Milwaukee and paid $150/day for what they admitted was their $35/day automobile.

Private car rental

Ive been looking at homes/rooms for rent. Several of them have offers of rental of their private cars. Perhaps one of them will deal with the car without the room rental...

How hard do you want to work?

If you are willing to do some footwork you might try the "blue angel" way. Get a group together (probably easy here) and estimate # of cars needed. Ask about group rates at the normal sources, but also check "non-normal". Call car dealers with same story "we are here for a historic aviation meeting, blah, blah, if you are willing to loan us crew cars for a week, we will keep your advertisements in the car windows, etc" We (I am NOT with the blues, just stole their idea) use this idea at air shows all the time and often get free rentals for the advertising!

Check to see if there are any in town Enterprise rental
Car stores. Their rates are usually much lower than the airport
Stores.

Car Rentals

Rent a car from an airport more than 100 miles away. Fly both planes to Oshkosh, and then fly one pilot to that other airport. The closer it gets to Airventure time, the further away you must go to get a good auto rental price.
Leland

The last couple of times we went there ...

We got our car at the Dodge county airport at reasonable rates I thought. I didn't even reserve ahead. Reasonable to me was in the $60 to $80 range.

If the airplanes don't have to be parked together there are different shuttle schemes that you could consider (fly to cheap car spot, rent car, fly and drive to Oshkosh, drive back to cheap car airport, fly and drive back to oshkosh, etc.).

If either of you had a passenger you could land at a cheap car airport and let the passenger drive to Oshkosh.

A remote drop off option would be convenient when it is time to go home.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
we need a VAF courtesy car. Pool our money rent a car for the 10day period or so. Louise and Paul could use it most mornings and evening to shuttle to their motel. Then during the day, the car could be available to others via prearranged schedule to make store runs or such.

We got lucky flying in last year and bummed a ride from a fellow camper with wheels to make two wallyworld supply/food runs. But without a friendly neighbor we would have rented or begged someone else.

I've gotten several private messages with creative ideas folks - and we are probably good for this show - but I think this thread has generated several great ideas for folks who might be in a similar boat, so keep the ideas coming! Folks that drive in and camp, staying the whole week without really needing their cars at night seem to be a great solution for those who fly in and need to leave the grounds at night - maybe VAF can match folks up like that.

I am really curious about how far out from Oshkosh you have to go to get out of the "impact zone" of the event on rental car prices. We know that the Twin Cities is safe, but it's a "long" drive for someone ...how about Eau Claire? It's an hour and a half closer. Ernie said Chicago is good...but I bet some small town Enterprise might be cheaper on the average as well. (Good suggestion on "off-airport" Enterprise solutions as well - for the Reno races, the Enterprise at Carson City is $120/day at the airport, and $35 a day at their city location, three miles away....but I think the guys at KOSH already know that game - I checked.)

Paul

my observation from several travels to osh:

chicago, from experience is best both what airline flight prices and rental car rates are concerned.
and the drive up is not that bad with normally smooth traffic.

i've tried several options in the past (can't remember which order):
- flying into ORD, renting a car for the week, staying at marian college dorms in fond du lac, driving to the show each day
- flying into appleton, then using a shuttle bus to the airshow and the "school buses" to university of osh dorms.
- flying into milwaukee, renting a car for the week and staying in a microtel inn in appleton.
- flying into ORD, renting a car for the week and staying at ripon college.

some observations:
- economy cars out of chicago are some of the cheapest in the u.s., especially on special or weekly rates
- flights into airports other than chicago area cost at least 200$ more on an international ticket and involve the hassle of matching the unpredictable immigration wait times with optimum flight connections.
- flying nonstop to ord, and being able to pickup the rental car and hit the road right after immigrations is a big advantage and negates the advantage of the regional flight.
- combined with the higher rental rates for cars in MKE and APW this comes down to a no brainer for international visitors IMHO.
- traffic management in osh is quite good, not much of a hassle to get in/out of the grounds
- parking rates aren't cheap but if you can split it up with a few guys it's no issue
- flexibility of the car wins hands down over shuttle buses, especially when hanging out with friends at the show after hours, dining out etc...
also, was able to give some of the friends that camped/flew in on their own a help with shopping/supplies.
- college dorms are on the lowest end of the comfort scale, not even because of the shared showers/toilets. just simply due to age, furnishings poor beds, bad smell etc...
- hotels/motels within 30min of EAA sell out fast and charge convention prices. we planned a bit late this year and only got a "days inn" in appleton for about 200$/double room/night. still, the better quality of sleep, air conditioning and ability to rest your legs is well worth it IMHO.
- consider staying somewhere half way on the first and last day at regular rates, MKE area motels e.g. seem unaffected by airventure.
- (for the foreigners) make sure to have some small change / small bills available when arriving in ORD as some of the first things you hit is toll roads...

looking forward to osh and teamrv :)

bernie

We stay in Sleepy Hollow every year for the entire week. We get there on Friday and stay til the next Saturday morning. We always have at least 1 extra vehicle on hand and we are always more than willing to help out with runs to town or whatever. Just call.
Seems to me in this day & age, everything has a price tag attached to it. Not so with me. I've been blessed and all I want to do is pass it on, or "pay it foreward" if you will.
There's nothing more satisfying to me than to know I helped someone out.

Marshall Alexander
(405) 417-6077

My wife and I airlined into Milwaukee and rented a car to the 2009 show. We used Costco for the rental and it was a lot cheaper than anyone else. Not sure if it is still that way.

I just did a search on Hertz's website. The attached pics is what I found. I did use the USAA car discount code as well. I know this only helps USAA members.

They have cars at $45.00 a day.

kinger

http://gallery.me.com/kinger#100026/Hertz&bgcolor=black

Back