What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A on it's Back

Is this the one that was for sale?

PS.. Not gonna share the details, but another one flipped over about a week ago (outside the US)... heartbreaking to see the photos of it.. luckily everyone is OK and the damage is relatively minor for the type of incident.

The story says
"This is not a chargeable crash," said State Police Sgt. Thomas Molnar

What is a chargeable crash?

The same thing stuck out to me. The reporter probably asked "Are any charges going to be filed?" Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

I'm glad Andy is OK.

-9a turtle

...typical rollout pogo.
good analogy, sad that we have a dozen slang terms when our birds crash, causing potentially fatal injuries, and tens of thousands in damage, instead of scrapes and scratched paint.

I'm waiting for the new nose gear design.....and waiting....and waiting....

or will insurers catch on, and stop covering us first?

It is good that the pilot was not seriously hurt but the damage to the plane must be heart breaking.

If Ray feels up to it in the future, it would be helpful to understand what the grassy area was like and was there an obvious hole, etc that caused the flip?

I have been fixing problem areas in the turf/dirt/weed area south of our runway 15 to minimize the risk to aircraft that go off the end of the runway. I doubt that it will ever approach the smoothness of a well maintained grass runway, but we can fix the egregious problems. I am not confident that I would remain belly down if I went off the end for a substantial distance.

Hang on a sec ....

The newspaper article said he landed in a grass field 50 feet north of the runway not a mowed, watered, maintained grass strip.

...typical rollout pogo.
good analogy, sad that we have a dozen slang terms when our birds crash, causing potentially fatal injuries, and tens of thousands in damage, instead of scrapes and scratched paint.

I'm waiting for the new nose gear design.....and waiting....and waiting....

or will insurers catch on, and stop covering us first?
Stop covering? Maybe add more premium, but they're not going to stop covering due to nose over accidents alone.

Regarding your comments above further, are you saying you're not pleased with the nosegear design? Slap a Caravan nosegear on if you want a strong nosegear. Or get a conventional gear plane. But with these, there's still the potential for noseover in an off field landing in mud, brush, etc. I guess I'm not following.

Regarding your comments above further, are you saying you're not pleased with the nosegear design? Slap a Caravan nosegear on if you want a strong nosegear. Or get a conventional gear plane. But with these, there's still the potential for noseover in an off field landing in mud, brush, etc. I guess I'm not following.

Yeah, that would really help a lot. Had a Caravan go on its back a couple years ago at an airport near here--overshot on a transmission failure. Failed at 10k' directly over the field hauling jumpers. Kinda sounds like the recent...

Also had a 4 go on its nose at our airport (OVO) a few years ago. Come to think of it, the only gear-related things I have seen personally have been TDs. It can happen, and it will, regardless of where the little wheel is. Insurance isn't higher on some for absolutely no reason. Fly safe and practice those emergencies.

Bob Kelly

Coverage

Stop covering? Maybe add more premium, but they're not going to stop covering due to nose over accidents alone.

I agree with Bryan on both counts. When and if it becomes an issue to the insurance carriers they will raise the premiums and require more training and experience. Several of the past nose-overs were clearly pilot technique, not engineering.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

RV-9a for $32k??

Shoot you can build a 9 for $32K....Man I built the wrong model!!!

Apparently you can build one for LESS than that. The report said they can cost UP TO $32k! :)

Glad to hear the pilot is okay. Anyone have any perspective on whether a rollover in a tip-up versus a slider is better/worse?

Even I wouldn't charge that one to the nosegear. But we've just been very lucky so far that no one has died. Given it was a Mag/Carb engine, it'd be interesting to see what the failure was, if Ray ever feels like sharing.

Back