What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding Bikes

Cool.....but.....

Ya' know Doug, I'd love to have a bike that fits int eh back of the Val, but for those prices, I could buy a Breitling B-1....or fuel for the Val for three months!!! :eek:

I guess I'm just spoiled - I got my airport/hangar bike at Target for $79....and they took 10% off because it had a scratch and they couldn't find the manual! :rolleyes:

I know a folding bike is gonna cost more, but....man!!

I hear ya Paul. Way expensive. Check out that coupling though: http://www.sandsmachine.com/ You can retrofit an existing bike into a 'collapsible'. Very pricey also, but if you had a nice Trek mountain or such it could be made 'RV friendly'.

Like the original poster said....for the 'builder in us' <g>.

b,dr

Last edited:
Make one!

Hmm. I'll have to do some research, but I seem to recall that about four or five years ago Sport Aviation had an article about how to modify any bicycle to make it fold. Requires some cutting (obviously) and a little welding (doable) and some drilling to accept pins or bolts.

I'll get back to you....

hgerhardt said:
Do any of the above bikes fit into the back of a 6-7-9? How about a Brompton? http://www.foldabikes.com/ They look about the smallest of the folding bikes. Just fairly spendy, starting at $900.
The Brompton fits very easily in my tip-up RV-6 and I suspect, but have not verified, that two would fit fine. It folds or unfolds in around 10 seconds and is so small that I don't mind at all, with a fabric cover, taking it in a restaurant. Something that I think should be considered. It is just sort of like a large valise.

More serious riding folders....

In reviews, the Dahon and the less expensve folders are appropriate for tooling around the airport, or getting from your boat to the end of the dock, but to really go somewhere, you need a real bike.

http://www.birdybike.com/index.html

http://www.bikefriday.com/

My wife and I both own Bike Friday New World Tourists. Great bike, fits me so well, I sold my full sized roadbike. Accelerates well, and corners really well. Wheel size is key to a folder, full size wheels are tuff to tuck away in a small plane. I have not tried to fit my Friday it in the RV-8 yet. I'm interested in the Birdy, because it's folded size is smaller than Friday's.

Art in Asheville

Ironflight said:
Ya' know Doug, I'd love to have a bike that fits int eh back of the Val, but for those prices, I could buy a Breitling B-1....or fuel for the Val for three months!!! :eek:

I guess I'm just spoiled - I got my airport/hangar bike at Target for $79....and they took 10% off because it had a scratch and they couldn't find the manual! :rolleyes:

I know a folding bike is gonna cost more, but....man!!

Paul, don't get sucked into the bicycle world if you are concerned about your wallet. They may not be airplanes, but the coolness factor is off the charts when it comes to beautifully-made, as-light-as-it-can-be for the application components and frames. Ask me why I know :D It seems completely natural to me that the Wrights were bicycle mechanics before they delved into flight.

As for the Sands Machine couplings, they work as advertised. I've only seen the ones that go over the outside of the frame tube. I haven't personally installed any, but the silver brazing technique is easy to learn if you have access to an oxyacetylene rig.

Guys,
I race bikes and spend a boat load of time riding every week. My RV4 under construction is going to carry a bike. A real bike. Not a folding unit that is heavy and has diminished utility. I am going to purchase one of these: http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...White-Blue&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=1 The frame is $1,350. My friend has one and he says the frame is not stiff enough for racing but certainly worthy of training and touring. We took his apart and put it in the back seat of my 4. No problem with the passenger seatback and stick removed. Road handlebars are about 18.5 inches wide. My RV4 rails are 22.5 inches wide so it fits without having to loosen the stem. The frame weighs 3.6 pounds, very reasonable for a break-down frame. Without spending gobs of money for the lightest components a person should be able to have a completed bike built up for around $2,000. The final weight should be in the range of 18 pounds (+-). Not bad!!!! You get what you pay for. With this set-up you will have a bike that go on an all day ride. You can use it at home for training to lower your body weight and quit trying to stuff the big horses inside the cowl. Your Lyco will thank you.

Cheers,

Brian Vickers, Bainbridge Island, WA

RV8 bicycle?

Anyone managed to fit one (or better yet 2) in the back compartment of the -8 ? Hard to tell from the pics and specs what will really work.....

Anyone tried...

The Brompton fits very easily in my tip-up RV-6 and I suspect, but have not verified, that two would fit fine. It folds or unfolds in around 10 seconds and is so small that I don't mind at all, with a fabric cover, taking it in a restaurant. Something that I think should be considered. It is just sort of like a large valise.

Anyone tried to actually fit TWO Brompton Foldable bikes in a side-by-side RV ? I wonder how much space is available for a weekend bag.
I am seriously looking at Brompton's to take along in our RV-9 but it's a considerable investment and I would really like to know how others have experienced taking two Brompton's + Luggage...

Citizen Bike in a slider

I have the Miami Citizen bike and find it very difficult to put into the back of my RV9A slider. I tend to scratch paint and screw up the Derailleure brakes putting it in. It is heavy and difficult to maneuver. No way could I get in a second bike. It might have been easier if I had bought their Storage Bag.
Leland

Two Dahons fits

Here is what Alfio have (Dahon Speed D7):

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47856&highlight=Dahon

I have a different model of Dahon (Speed P8), 8 speed bike, 27.8lb. I modified my slider to a slide/tip-up. It helps a lot to load the bikes.

IMG_9783.JPG

IMG_9664.JPG

IMG_9665.JPG

Back