Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2021, 09:51 AM

Here's an excellent Kitplanes article on re-skinning a RV3 wing after a EF1 tornado at Sun 'n Fun. The article does a good job explaining the repair flow in detail. You didn't mention which type RV- a pre-punched model repair would be easier; the RV3 is not pre-punched.

https://www.kitplanes.com/fix-these-broken-wings/
Hartzell composite prop

Last edited by Pilot8 : 06-02-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:34 AM

I had a bird strike just outside of the right fuel tank. After having a good look and deciding it was a cosmetic issue, I flew it for months just as it was before calling a dentless repair guy ďmassagedĒ it back to a reasonable approximation of its original self. With a little filler and paint it would be invisible but Iíve chosen to spent money and time on other stuff.
I think you need to determine if the damage is structural or cosmetic. If itís structural, fix it correctly. If itís cosmetic, then you must decide if are you okay with how it looks. I built my plane and have been flying for 14 years and can guarantee a flying airplane will collect more cosmetic defects, they just seem magically appear.
Loveland, CO
Old 06-04-2021, 11:23 AM

I think it depends on the location of the dent to make a sufficient detriment to the structural strength and rigidity of the wing. If the dent is in the bay next to the tank then the leading edge wing skin is more important since it contributes to the strength of the tank. If the dent is toward the wing tip, like location of the landing light, the strength degradation is negligible. The wing bending moment and the shear are very small at this location. This is why we can can make a big cut to mount the landing light at this location. So if you decide to massage the dent in the outboard leading edge, i don't think you should worry about the structural integrity of the wing.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021