- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:05 AM

Default Dynon AHRS and HUB question

Can't get to the hangar to test this out right now, and trying to plan routing.

Does anyone know if the AHRS can be plugged into a dynon hub, and then the hub run to the HDX display? The way the Dynon wiring diagram shows it the AHRS is routed directly to the display serial port. It I can run to a hub it will simplify my wiring.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:14 AM

I hope so - I'm planning on that, too. I'm using AzGila's excellent hub kit, which includes the servo connectors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skyview Layout (Az_Gila's Hub).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	12083

Dave
Old 05-30-2021, 11:29 AM

You can run SkyView network connections in series, parallel or any combination of the two.

I suggest however that you overlay some “what if” ideas into your design. For example I tend to run separate network lines for each SkyVIew display such that I don’t have everything on a single, series connected network run. Perhaps overkill but it is easy enough to do.

Carl
Old 05-30-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdragon View Post
Can't get to the hangar to test this out right now, and trying to plan routing.

Does anyone know if the AHRS can be plugged into a dynon hub, and then the hub run to the HDX display? The way the Dynon wiring diagram shows it the AHRS is routed directly to the display serial port. It I can run to a hub it will simplify my wiring.
I assume when you say "serial port" you're referring to the Skyview Network port - the serial data connections to the displays are a different animal and aren't used by the ADAHRS.

I feel this is important to mention since conflating the Skyview Network connector with an RS232 connector could result in some very bad juju, to the point that it's called out specifically in the install manual:

Quote:
It is important to understand that in SkyView, the 9-pin connectors are not electrically compatible with RS-232 serial connections found on PCs and other devices. One critical difference is that in a SkyView Network 9-pin D9F or D9M connector, 3 of the 9 pins provide power, which, if connected to a RS-232 serial device, could damage it, or damage the SkyView display.
As others have mentioned, no problem with using a hub. I ended up installing two hubs, one forward and one aft. Arguably slightly overkill, but it allows me to only have a single SVN run from front to rear.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:21 PM

So to make this perfectly clear, I can plug in for instance the AHRS, 2 autopilot servos into a dynon 5 port hub, and then run this forward with a db9 directly to the display serial in?

Another question. Dynon manual says you can at any point combine the twisted wires of the servos together. Does this mean you can connect the roll servo and pitch servo wires together, and that the HDX somehow encodes commands to the proper servo when it wants to actuate it, using the same wires?

Wasn't quite clear to me in how it was described in install manual.

Thanks for help so far.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdragon View Post
Another question. Dynon manual says you can at any point combine the twisted wires of the servos together. Does this mean you can connect the roll servo and pitch servo wires together, and that the HDX somehow encodes commands to the proper servo when it wants to actuate it, using the same wires?

Wasn't quite clear to me in how it was described in install manual.

Thanks for help so far.
Network connections are all common to each other. The SkyView knows what is on the network, and how to talk to each unit separately. In other words think digital, not analog.

For each autopilot servo I use a single four #22 conductor shielded wire, a #20 wire for power, a #20 wire for ground and a #22 wire for disconnect. I use a female and male 9 pin D connectors at the servo to make the connection. Easy peasy.

Carl
Old 05-30-2021, 03:20 PM

Default Servo wiring

The servos can be connected to a hub with the ADAHRS but the power doesn't unless, as Dave mentions, a special hub is utilized.
Note, if the Advanced Flight Systems Advanced Control Module is used, the components all terminate at the ACM.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Network connections are all common to each other. The SkyView knows what is on the network, and how to talk to each unit separately. In other words think digital, not analog.

For each autopilot servo I use a single four #22 conductor shielded wire, a #20 wire for power, a #20 wire for ground and a #22 wire for disconnect. I use a female and male 9 pin D connectors at the servo to make the connection. Easy peasy.

Carl
OK that makes more sense. Was thinking analog and not digital. Hoping to wrap this up this week.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:41 PM

Default Skyview Network DB9

Marc, The Skyview network DB9 connector carries required info from both A/P servos and ADAHRS unit plus other devices in the network.
So, both roll and pitch servos go into identical pins that Skyview sorts out internally. 7 wires in each servo. 4 go into the Network Hub via the DB9.
The blue goes into pin 6. The green goes into pin 1. The white/blue goes into pin 4. The white/green goes into pin 8. That leaves 3 servo wires. Red(power), Black(local ground at the servo site if you choose), Yellow(Autopilot disconnect). So, yes, with DB9s, you are essentially splicing same color wires together from all the devices. Clear as mud?
Wendell
Wendell VAF#1832
RV-6A 3/4 done...N48JE Reserved
Build site: www.mykitlog.com/weneng
Donated to VAF in 2021
Old 05-31-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenEng View Post
Marc, The Skyview network DB9 connector carries required info from both A/P servos and ADAHRS unit plus other devices in the network.
So, both roll and pitch servos go into identical pins that Skyview sorts out internally. 7 wires in each servo. 4 go into the Network Hub via the DB9.
The blue goes into pin 6. The green goes into pin 1. The white/blue goes into pin 4. The white/green goes into pin 8. That leaves 3 servo wires. Red(power), Black(local ground at the servo site if you choose), Yellow(Autopilot disconnect). So, yes, with DB9s, you are essentially splicing same color wires together from all the devices. Clear as mud?
Wendell
Thanks Wendell!

I have all the wires run, servos mounted, and the panel cut, now it is the 20 percent of the work left that takes 80 percent of the time! The grommets helped a bunch, thanks again. Ended up with the wrong sizes on the ones I ordered from Vans. I've spent way too much time crammed in that plane, making me wish I was 4 foot 8 and not 6 foot 5.