- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:18 AM

Default Paint Design/Wrap

Is there an online, or app, folks are using to plan their paint/wrap? Has anyone on here done a full wrap? Opens up all kinds of creative opportunities but Iím concerned about the longevity of vinyl.

Happily DONATED for 2021. I meet more than one of the exemptions but feel this site is well worth the donation. Hoping other will follow suit!

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.RV14
Old 04-20-2021, 06:37 AM

I have 20 year old vinyl trim on my RV-6. It is holding up well.

Given the corrosion we've seen under Van's blue plastic, I would 100% prime an aircraft with an epoxy primer before I wrapped it.

On the RV-10, I'm considering using vinyl for some of the larger trim color areas. Those areas will be fully painted the base color before any vinyl is applied.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 PM

There some spots that canít be vinyl wrapped so they need to be painted anyway. I know two people that have had their planes wrapped. After about 4 or 5 years both started having issues on the cowlings and leading edges. This is only a small sample so donít take as gospel. IMHO, the best thing to do is paint. If you take care of your plane, you should be able to get a good 20 years or more out of a paint job.