- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Rudder Cable Rigging

How should the rudder cables? Our RV 4 cables seem loose. The tail wheel does not swivel. It is a small wheel.
The aircraft seems to dart occasionally especially in a 3 point position.
Thanks
G Harben
N12HR
RV 4 O 320 Lycoming
Old 06-11-2021, 06:45 PM

The cables get their tension when your feet are on the rudder pedals, so it is normal for them to seem loose.
first flight May 2, 1997
RV8 #83830 done.
DAR inspection on 7-23-2021
Phase 1
Old 06-12-2021, 05:00 AM

Default Stock wheel

The standard kit wheel is likely what you have. Simple and effective. You cannot push the plane backward or it will wrap up the chains. Cables are loose , but the link cables and chains are what sets the control sensitivity. I have found this to be one of the best controlling tail wheels ever. Make sure the wheel is installed correctly and perfectly vertical. Some tail springs become loose or where drilled incorrectly. Install a new tire if it's more flat than rounded at the tread. They are solid and require no air. With the plane sitting on ground the chains and cables should have a slight amount of slack, but that's it.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:59 PM

Thank you Sam and Bill
I am glad to find out that a little slack is correct. I believe that I have the standard wheel. I will look at it to verify that the pivot angle is completely vertical and the wheel is not worn flat.
Do the wings tend to block the rudder in a 3 point stance?
Thanks again
G Harben
N12HR
O 320
Old 06-13-2021, 01:16 AM

Default Short or Long Gear?

The rudder is plenty effective in the 3 point attitude. If you have short gear that attitude is fairly flat with several knots of flying speed above the stall. No real full stall landing possible with short gear.
I have short gear and my preference is to fly it on in a 3 point attitude.
Iím not sure which came first: tall gear or full swivel tail wheel. I bought mine with the old style non-swiveling tailwheel and converted to a light weight full swiveling unit with parts from Flyboys.
Very happy with the upgrade.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:50 PM

N12HR was built by Raymond D'Andrea in 1991. How could I determine if it has long or short gear? Why is the short gear difficult to full stall land?
Thanks for the help. I want to totally understand this RV, it is so much fun and the more you know the more fun!
75 and flying!
G Harben
N12HR O 320
Old 06-13-2021, 01:29 PM

You have a very nice looking short gear airplane. I found a 2013 photo of your airplane and can tell by looking at it, no real advantage to the long gear unless you are swinging a longer prop and need more ground clearance. A little better forward taxi visibility with the short gear. Iíve flown both and couldnít tell much difference, I prefer wheel landings anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51A53C1D-455B-4378-9D19-F0A736F5AA36.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	12589  
Old 06-14-2021, 08:19 AM

The AOA at the 3pt attitude is lower than stall AOA. So it can’t be stalled near touchdown and plonked down on 3 points. It has to be flown on to the deck in a 3 pt attitude.
Trying to do a “full stall” landing results in a nose cocked up attitude and tail wheel first landing.
The older -4s had a weak lower engine mount to fuselage weldment (F-404?). Dropping it in too hard results in a wrinkled firewall. Best to be gentle on landing if that weldment hasn’t been upgraded to the beefier version.
I recall several threads on the short gear vs long landing characteristics and quite a few on the F-404 weldment upgrade.
The way to tell is look at the weldment on the lower front corner of the inside of the fuselage. If it has split ears running aft along the lower longerons it is the older style. If it is a solid angle like the longeron then it’s heavier duty.