What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ANL 60

Paul Austin

Hi
I am just at the stage of connecting the main alt wire. I am a bit confused as to the purpose of the anl60 in the system is it to protect wire going from the alt to the firewall or the wire from the firewall to the power buss in the cockpit as it seems when connected like a lot of the ones on this site that there is still a direct route for the power direct to the battery battery and if the wire from the master relay to the power buss shorts out the full current of the battery would flow with no circuit protection. Any info would be greatly appreciated.. :confused::confused:

Thats why I installed two. No way I was running that fat unprotected wire inside my cockpit without some sort of overcurrent protection on it...

I have seen contactors weld shut on a hard fault and that could happen with the master!

9fnyap.jpg

34zx6o1.jpg

Also at least install fusible links on them shunt wires for the ammeter!!!

Last edited:
Confused

I am still a little confused with the placment of the anl fuses as the one in the alt wire on the firewall seems to be at the wrong end of the cable if the wire from the alt to the fire wall shorts it will be before the fuse and therefore the fuse will not blow shouldnt circuit protection always be at the source of power is this correct or am i really confused:confused:

The huge current source on that wire is the battery not the alternator. Your b lead from the alternator should be sized for the max current that the alternator can produce. That is why the fuse is on the battery end.

I'd say YES to a doubler

Bob,
I've supported mine with a doubler. Has a heavy cable attached.
In fact, my AFS ammeter shunt and ANL share a common doubler.

I'm glad someone started this post, it made it obvious to me that I'd neglected to provide protection for the wire going from the switched contactor to the VP-50 (my electrical buss).

So last night I started putting in that second one. Oh, and I also lamented not putting a doubler plate on when I put the first ANL in. So this gave me the opportunity to do it right (by my definition, YMMV) and silence one of the many voices in my head.

Is this where you are referring to?

I am trying to design my electrical right now using Z-13/8. I want to make sure I understand where you guys are referring to putting in a second limiter, is it where the red arrow indicates in my drawing? Also, are you using 2AWG or 4AWG wire for this connection?

current-limiter-question.png

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, its a little late now, but I think you are correct in your picture. People are protecting the wire that powers the buss bar with an ANL 60, along with the ANL 60 that is between the starter solenoid and the alternator (the B lead off the alternator). I am certainly no expert in these matters, so you get what you pay for.

Where do the current limiters go?

I'm designing my electrical system and am considering adding current limiters to the system. I'm curious where exactly you folks are locating them. My assumption is the first one goes between the ALT B-Lead and the switched side of the Battery solenoid and the second one would go between the battery solenoid and the Starter solenoid. Am I correct? I've seen some guys use 3 current limiters and I'm curious where that one would go...?

Hi
I am just at the stage of connecting the main alt wire. I am a bit confused as to the purpose of the anl60 in the system is it to protect wire going from the alt to the firewall or the wire from the firewall to the power buss in the cockpit as it seems when connected like a lot of the ones on this site that there is still a direct route for the power direct to the battery battery and if the wire from the master relay to the power buss shorts out the full current of the battery would flow with no circuit protection. Any info would be greatly appreciated.. :confused::confused:

Paul,
The fuse will only protect the wiring [and if it's a fast acting fuse, like the ANL 60, your avionics] that are downstream from the fuse. Therefore, it can not protect the wire between the alternator and the fuse block. FYI, I really like the ANL 60 fuse. However, I'm not wild about the very "open" Amp brand ANL fuse holder. There are better fuse holder alternatives out there. Littelfuse makes a very nice, completely insulated fuse holder, which with a slight mod, can hold the Amp ANL 60 fuses. I would suggest the you peruse the link below, for more info.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=42493&highlight=Mega+fuse+holder

Charlie

Paul,
The fuse will only protect the wiring [and if it's a fast acting fuse, like the ANL 60, your avionics] that are downstream from the fuse. Therefore, it can not protect the wire between the alternator and the fuse block. FYI, I really like the ANL 60 fuse. However, I'm not wild about the very "open" Amp brand ANL fuse holder. There are better fuse holder alternatives out there. Littelfuse makes a very nice, completely insulated fuse holder, which with a slight mod, can hold the Amp ANL 60 fuses. I would suggest the you peruse the link below, for more info.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=42493&highlight=Mega+fuse+holder

Charlie

Just an FYI....B&C now makes a cover for the ANL fuse mount. I bought one and its a good product.

http://www.bandc.biz/anlcurrentlimiterbase-1.aspx

Back