What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Cables through panel?

rmr

Planning my panel layout for a 7A tipup. I will have five push-pull cables; Throttle, prop, mixture as well as cabin heat and ram air. The usual layout I've seen is the three main cables on a sub panel beneath and the cabin heat on the right through the panel itself. I noticed Brian Chesteen's panel has all cables through the panel itself. My thought is to either put all five cables on a wider subpanel or split them with the three main through the panel in the normal area and the two others (cabin and ram air) on the left through the panel as well. My question is whether there is a convenience issue with cables through the panel? Are they harder to work on? is it just preference or any other rationale to keep them off the panel?

Advantages:

Easier to do
Can be more solid of a mount
Looks nice
Easy to label
More room to work under panel
Lighter

Disadvantages:

You have to remove them if you pull the panel or come up with some sort of removable method like slots or subpanels which negate some of the advantages.

Takes up panel space

Thanks Brian,

With a tip-up and a G3X I'm finding it difficult to come up with a scenario that would necessitate removing the panel and thus the cables unless it was a major upgrade.

That's why I did it the first go round and never gave it a second thought on the second panel. It just ain't no big deal if you are doing a major upgrade.

As mentioned, it does make a difference if you have a need to pull the panel out. I prefer to either put them on a panel that is beneath the instrument panel, or make a plate that will hold 2 or more of them and make an oval cutout in the instrument panel that the push/pull panel screws into from the back. This has proven very helpful in doing minor and major upgrades in the past, especially because some cables, once installed, are a huge pain to remove.

Back