What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll bar safety

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Is the slider more mechanically stout... in terms of rollover protection, than the tip up?
I see 4130 bent and bolted in the sliders. I see folded aluminum in the tips.
Anyone studied this? Just thinking here after reading the helmet thread.

I have the aluminum version... We all put a lot of faith in the designer in all kinds of ways. The rollbar is only one tiny aspect.

Been there, seen that...

Is the slider more mechanically stout... in terms of rollover protection, than the tip up?
I see 4130 bent and bolted in the sliders. I see folded aluminum in the tips.
Anyone studied this? Just thinking here after reading the helmet thread.

I have witnessed and responded to three RV rollovers in the past 25 years, all 3 Pilot buffoonery. Two RV6A sliders and one RV3 Tip Over. The sliders were both the stock Van's steel variety and the RV3 was the headrest version. Both 6A's held without bending or failure. Both pilots had slight head injuries from hitting the top of the canopy at impact. However comma, a 6A nearby several years ago with an elderly, tall pilot was killed on a rollover but his passenger (wife) survived, again a head trauma at impact. The RV3 Pilot was trapped inside until we could lift the tail. The room between the ground and roll bar is minute for the Pilot to escape and fuel pours out when the airplane is inverted despite sealed caps. Not a fun place to be extricating someone..FYI...

Do: Have a crotch strap, keep it tight and a canopy breaker tool within reach.
Don't: flip over...

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Note to Smokyray...

I have witnessed and responded to three RV rollovers in the past 25 years, all 3 Pilot buffoonery. Two RV6A sliders and one RV3 Tip Over. The sliders were both the stock Van's steel variety and the RV3 was the headrest version. Both 6A's held without bending or failure. Both pilots had slight head injuries from hitting the top of the canopy at impact. However comma, a 6A nearby several years ago with an elderly, tall pilot was killed on a rollover but his passenger (wife) survived, again a head trauma at impact.

V/R
Smokey

This is a relevant bit of data for the lad who asked about helmets in an earlier post. Helmets like lap/shoulder restraints aren't worth a hoot until you need them.

I have witnessed and responded to three RV rollovers in the past 25 years, all 3 Pilot buffoonery. Two RV6A sliders and one RV3 Tip Over. The sliders were both the stock Van's steel variety and the RV3 was the headrest version. Both 6A's held without bending or failure. Both pilots had slight head injuries from hitting the top of the canopy at impact. However comma, a 6A nearby several years ago with an elderly, tall pilot was killed on a rollover but his passenger (wife) survived, again a head trauma at impact. The RV3 Pilot was trapped inside until we could lift the tail. The room between the ground and roll bar is minute for the Pilot to escape and fuel pours out when the airplane is inverted despite sealed caps. Not a fun place to be extricating someone..FYI...

Do: Have a crotch strap, keep it tight and a canopy breaker tool within reach.
Don't: flip over...

V/R
Smokey

Just curious?were those landings on grass, or a paved strip?

I'm fitting 5-points in mine. I've done some SCCA sports car racing so I'm well versed in the efficacy of a quality harness.

Back