What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Letter SL-00014 published - for RV-7/8/9 tailwheel airplanes

I did the Service Letter today. Used left over .032x21/32x21/32 stiffner angles instead of waiting for Vans kit. The only difficulty I had was that the dimensions given on the SL needed some tweaking. I contacted Van's support on this and they said that was OK. Attached is a picture of how I transferred the stiffner layout to the outside of the fuselage to verify edge distance and fit to the flanges of the bulkheads.

SL-00014.jpg

Van's locations are #1 on the picture. I did use the Van's location for the bottom rivet but it took some fancy fileing of the stiffner to fit to the bulkhead flange and give enough edge distance. I moved the top rivet to location #2 to give better edge distance and distance from the bulkhead flange. Note - the double line at the top edge of the stiffner is not thickness but shows the radius of the stiffners bend.

Bottom line - I'd suggest that if your doing this SL check rivet locations before drilling exactly to Van's dimensions - especially if fabricating your own stiffners and every build may vary slightly dimensionally wrt bulkhead flanges.

Edit - I used AN426AD3-4 rivets instead of the -3s and was able to squeeze the three top rivets and buck the bottom 2.

Last edited:
Post skin deformation stiffner installation

Hi all,

I installed my homemade stiffners today (leftovers from the build). Nothing really difficult and as others have done I installed MK319BS pop rivets in the lower positions. The stiffners really pulled the already deformed skin into an almost "flat" profile so I'm quite satisfied with the end result.
Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Back