Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 AM

Just wanted to request a feature.

Would it be possible to toggle between Speed/Dir and Head/X-wind in the wind data field by pressing on it.

I normally fly with Head/X-wind but would like to quickly know the Speed/Dir for my post flight de-brief for anyone who wants to listen.

- Ben
Old 04-25-2021, 10:32 AM

One more tip. The screenshot capture control is being moved from pressing and holding the joystick to pressing and holding the MENU key in the next G3X software update. The joystick has lots of uses, so it is a nice improvement to move this to the MENU key which makes this feature even easier to use.

Steve[/quote]

Steve,
Where is the joystick on the gdu 460?. I keep hearing this and reading it in the manual, but where? I see no joy stick on my -460.

Also, I read to keep the blank SD card in the -460 for normal use. Really?
How would it capture any data to look at later?
Old 10-25-2021, 11:37 AM

Default Question for the Garmin Guru

I am attempting to connect my Garmin EIS to the oil temperature sensor on a Continental IO-470. The sensor is original equipment on the engine. On the set-up page, I'm given 5 options for the Oil T Sensor:

* MilSpec MS28034
* Garmin 494-70009-00
* NIST ITS-90 K Type
* UMA-T3B3
* Rotax 966385

I haven't purchased a Garmin Oil T Sensor and I know it's not a Rotax. Do you have a best guess as to which of the other 3 options to use?

Ken Cockrell
RV-8 Fuselage Slow-Build In-work; on gear
Tail Kit complete
Wings In-work
N247TM Reserved
Old 12-09-2021, 08:45 PM

Default Possibly an ACTUAL SURVIVAL tip

After flying 2.2 hours cross country I stopped to drop off my safety pilot at his airport before departing for the very short (16 miles) flight to my airport. My airspeed was low (60kt) on my climb-out but the G3X was reporting a 41kt tailwind (which was not being reported on ATIS at KLEX or AWOS at 27K but weather and winds change more often than ATIS) so I let it go as the RV-12iS was climbing, sounding and feeling normal. Leveling off at 3,000' my indicated airspeed went up only slightly (65kt) with a ground speed of 105kt.

Knowing these we abnormal speed indications I was suspecting a pitot blockage or leak. I decided to maneuver away from traffic and get into slow flight, with full flaps, then attempt to find the indicated speed where a stall would occur before being closer to the terrain on final. Every turn to every direction confirmed the pitot issue as the G3X gave tailwinds of 37kt to 55kt at every heading turning around a point.

Here is where the SURVIVAL tip comes in. I slowed up greatly and worked in full flaps before reducing power and bringing in a flair to simulate landing. Indicated airspeed reached 28kt. The AOA gave appropriate warnings along the way and just about the time I was expecting the stall the ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection) took over and put the aircraft into a nosedive to pick up speed. I immediately thumbed the Autopilot Disconnect but found myself still fighting the nosedive. Autopilot had fully deflected the Trim nose down. I properly recovered from the unusual attitude then leveled off so that I could go into the menu and turn off ESP before heading to the airport.

Had this event occurred on final there would not have been time nor altitude to recover from ESP taking over control. If you ever suspect a pitot issue you MUST turn off ESP before attempting to land. It could save your life!

I removed the upper cowling and the line attached to the backside of the pitot tube had vibrated off. Easy fix but could've been a disaster.
E-LSA
iRMT & LSRM-I

Donated

“Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane.” -Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) Movie - "The Edge" https://youtu.be/dJD0lB4zRes
"...except during the month of Annual Condition Inspection." -Me (in the hangar)
"My first wife didn't like airplanes." - Gordon Baxter
Old 12-09-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Had this event occurred on final there would not have been time nor altitude to recover from ESP taking over control. If you ever suspect a pitot issue you MUST turn off ESP before attempting to land. It could save your life!

I removed the upper cowling and the line attached to the backside of the pitot tube had vibrated off. Easy fix but could've been a disaster.
Just a reminder that ESP is automatically disabled at 200 ft AGL, so it is never active when landing. Glad you figured out why your airspeed wasn't working!

From Pilot Guide:

"If enabled, this feature will automatically arm when the aircraft is above 500 feet AGL and the autopilot is not engaged, and disarm when below 200 feet AGL."

Steve
Old 12-09-2021, 09:50 PM

Wow... reminds me of the 737 Max.

Good information!
Old 12-10-2021, 11:46 AM

Default ESP Engagement

Glad to hear that you so quickly identified and corrected the issue in flight. Just a few things to keep in mind with regards to ESP.
  • ESP is providing autopilot servo torque to the controls, but does not in any case move the trim surfaces.
  • Pressing and holding the AP DISC switch inhibits ESP from applying servo torque to the control surfaces. As soon as the AP DISC button is released, ESP may re-engage if the aircraft is still outside of the defined flight envelope.
  • There is the option to install a panel mounted switch, connected to any configurable discrete input that will provide quick control of the arm/disarm state of ESP.
  • ESP is disarmed below 200 AGL. If for any reason AGL is not available, airspeed ESP is inhibited.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 12-10-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:15 PM

Exclamation Autopilot disconnect.

If the pilot has selected the autopilot OFF. (disconnected).
It should under NO circumstances interfer with flight controls period.
Trying to restore a dangerous situation fighting the autopilot kan get you killed.
This is dangerous and reminds me of the Boeing problem.
I have manually disabled the ESP-function in the GDU.
If the pilot gets disorientated or sick, the blue button is god to have.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanza View Post
If the pilot has selected the autopilot OFF. (disconnected).
It should under NO circumstances interfer with flight controls period.
Trying to restore a dangerous situation fighting the autopilot kan get you killed.
This is dangerous and reminds me of the Boeing problem.
I have manually disabled the ESP-function in the GDU.
If the pilot gets disorientated or sick, the blue button is god to have.
Most modern aircraft are outfitted with a system similar to this. My work airplane (a 78 million dollar business jet) is one such aircraft... it's almost exactly this system.

The boeing thing was dangerous not because of MCAS, but because of improper certification and the lack of training on the feature. The loss of life with the "boeing problem" was a result of poor pilotage (ie - the aircraft should have never been in a stall in the first place.)

This is a feature I use on my G3X system with a switch to turn it on and off. If I am on a cross country or flying in hard IMC, I use it. It's a Tool, and if properly trained it good be a really useful one. If you're not properly trained/aware of it's presence or how to use it, it, like anything else in this industry, will take you all the way to the scene of the accident.

Giving something like this a bad name because of a lack of understanding isn't good for those researching the G3X and it's potential benefits.
Global 7500 based where ever they tell me to put it
Proudly paid the donation!
USN OEF/OIF Vet
Old 02-09-2022, 06:50 AM

Exclamation ESP

I understand that ESP may provide some help if the pilot does not pay attention in a multi miljon dollar aircraft. And I belive you are correct about that it requires training.
However in a sport aircraft with a pilot flying 20-50 h per year its my opinion
that it ads complexity that have a potential to get people killed.
My ESP was activated without my knowledge, an update.
Yes its my fault I did not read all the text about the update.
To me it happend on 3,000 ft. My friend will not fly with me again.
If the aircraft is acting in a way the pilot finds unsafe it must be possible
to turn the system off.
My opinion is that an autopilot must be able to be disconnected.