What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Get Transition Training!!

Bikeman55

My first post to VAF was an ad searching for an RV-7A. Well, I got numerous responses and a few weeks later I bought one. A wonderful airplane built by two wonderful people (N68RS). I have been a Bonanza driver for most of my life and thought I would easily transition into an RV, but quickly figured out that this is no Bonanza! The previous owner, who is a retired Air Force aviator, retired airline pilot, 777 instructor, did 3 hours of dual with me....and did a great job. This made the insurance company happy, but my own personal limits were not satisfied. So I decided to undergo RV transition training with a pro.

The airplane was sitting in my hangar, and I really wanted to fly, so time was of the essence. I didn't want to schedule in cold country and have a weather delay, so I focused on instructors in warm climes. Jan Bussell, in Florida, came to the top of the list, so I called him. He had an opening in his schedule. United had an award ticket available, so off I went.

Three days later I returned to Colorado with my confidence level much improved. Still aware of my limitations, but feeling like I truly understand what flying an RV is all about. Jan wears his airplane like a 2nd skin, but most importantly he is an educator. He really knows how to convey the training to you in a manner that you understand and that sticks with you.

So now I have returned home, done another hour with a local instructor as an extra safety measure, and now I am soloing. Just rolling that RV onto the runway, smooth as silk. My point is, it doesn't matter what you've flown, what your experience is, it ain't an RV. Get thee to a professional. It'll be the best money you've ever spent, and may save your airplane and your life.

Last edited:
Jan is a great trainer! I also had a wonderful experience. Funny this subject came up because I was just dreaming of the day I finally get some tailwheel training. I figure I could fly my -7A down to Okeechobee and hop in his -6!!

The best educator....

I also flew with a couple of transition trainers and all were good but Jan was far and away the best at teaching me how to fly an RV. We didn't just do slow work, stalls, emergency procedures, lots of soft field landings on a (gasp) rough grass strip..... he taught me how to be comfortable and confident in the airplane. That's not the same as just teaching someone to land it safely.

Not only did I survive it all, I learned a lot about the why of flying an RV. Starting with specific RV related preflight to the 180 degree turnback, Jan showed the kind of patience and discipline that you only get from a true "educator".

He didn't rush, he didn't skip things, he had a sylabus and went by it and he didn't just pencil in the time. It was well worth the time and expense. Jan Bussell is the real thing!

Bill

+1 for Jan !!!

Totally enjoyed my experience with him!

He also has the ability to give you a TW endorsement after you earn it in his 6....I killed 2 birds with one trip...

Jan's RV8 Training

If you need RV8 training he puts you in the right seat of the RV6 or RV6A. Satisfied my insurance requirements coming from RV7A.

Back