What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best second com/VHF receiver

csgj

Thinking about putting in a second com radio in my 6a.
Currently using my 430 Garmin only
What's your favorite reasonably priced back up panel mount?
Probably only have room for a 2 1/4 inch unit
Thanks for the info!
Craig

XCOM

Go with an xcom, I have 2 of those and no Garmin.
Less than a pound and fit into a 2 1/4" hole.
Clear as a bell on reception and transmission over 50 miles or more.

MICROAIR M760

Been using MICROAIR M760 REV Q TRANSCEIVER 2 1/4" for second Comm with Garmin 430W. Four years and no problems.

icom a200.. very good, reliable and easy to use.

My vote is also for the Icom A200. Had one for 7 years and it worked flawlessly to the point I actually used it as primary even though I had a G430W in the #1 Comm position. I changed it to an Icom A210 for the 8.33MHz channel spacing required for some international flying.

:cool:

Craig,

I have the Trig TY91 8.33 Khz radio in my 6A for nearly 2 years and it is an excellent unit.
The control head which is 2 1/4 inches easily fits in the panel and because of its short depth can fit nearly anywhere.
The main radio I fitted under the passenger seat near the antenna. However it could easily be fitted behind the baggage compartment. I have found the Trig company support to be excellent if you have questions or require the radio to be updated to the latest firmware.

Barry RV6A F-PRVM

I have been using the MGL V6 it is quite a deal for all the features it pack. This has been my primary radio with a hand held as a backup utilizing and external antenna. Hopefully with a few modification and an addition of a gtn 650 that will be my NO 1 and the V6 will still be there as the number 2

Back