What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh 2014

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Who knows of the good fuel stops heading to Oshkosh? The ones that have hot dogs, burgers, and good fuel prices?
This the North Texas routing,,,, st Simond Island is not on our way to Oshkosh,,,:rolleyes:

Thanks

Jay, we always stop at (KMBY) Moberly, MO they have burgers and hotdog's. It's a three hour flight and then a short 2 to Ripon.

KRCM, just a little ways east/southeast of Kansas City has had burgers and hot dogs the past couple times I stopped there on my way to Oshkosh as a mid-trip refueling stop. K81 (Miami County) just south of the KC mode C ring has the We-B-Smokin BBQ restaurant on the field. They're closed on Mondays and only serve breakfast menu on weekends from 7am until 10:30 am but serve BBQ after that. Their omelettes for breakfast are awesome. I used to stop there each year for breakfast on the way to Osh, and for BBQ lunch on the way home back when I still had the Cherokee. A bit closer to Osh, is Portage WI (C47) with good fuel prices, mogas, and brats served if you want to fuel up and get a bite to eat before hitting the Fisk arrival. One thing cool about Portage is that a GPS direct course from C47 to KOSH takes you right along the south shore of Green Lake and into Ripon to set you up to start following the railroad tracks to Fisk.

ETA: found a website that said KRCM will have burgers, hotdogs, and BBQ sandwiches from 11am to 1pm each day during Oshkosh week plus a 10¢ per gallon fuel discount if you mention you're an Air venture traveler.

Last edited:
KMBY sounds good

We were planning the Oklahoma KIRK C47 route but the KMBY stop sounds like a better alternative to KIRK with food and cheaper gas. Added Portage to allow arrival with lots of fuel.

Southern IN - KHNB

Huntingburg Indiana (KHNB ) will be discounting gas one week before until week after OSH. Last year they were serving Brats and Hot Dog.

Pontiac Illinois has been good to me in the past. It's about 90 miles SW of Chicago and might be convenient for those coming from SE.

Thanks

Thanks for the information.

Some years we work in the Avery Tool Booth, and do not fly the 'Borrowed Horse' ? Avery buys us 'burner' tickets when we help out.
This reminds me of the fun of stopping in Moberly, and other places in years gone by.
Hope to see a bunch of friends and make some new friends this year.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back