What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Re-Registration??

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I was curious to see if anyone has had this issue come up?

I got home from Oshkosh and vacation yesterday and discovered a letter from the FAA, Aircraft Registration Expired, N-number Pending Cancellation notice.

I started researching and realized I did not receive either by mail or electronically a renewal notice. I called and learned that I now have fill out a registration form and provide some other documentation. Once this notice goes out you can no longer do it on line. What a bunch of ****!!!

The lady told me this has happened to many people. Very frustrating and demonstration as to the efficiency of our FAA. Anyone have any shortcuts or solutions to help with this?

Not happy today.

I got my letter last week, 5 months in advance. Sent in $5 on line.

Does your address on the FAA's N number database match your actual, current address? If so, you have a legitimate complaint. But I'm sure the FAA response will be, 'Well, we don't tell you if your medical is expiring, either.'

Registration

King Aircraft Title in Oklahoma City area can expedite registration if you are in a hurry. The N number will remain in limbo for a period of time, I don't know how long. If in doubt check your registration status and information at www.faa.gov: enter your n number.

I got a letter to re-register but WILL NOT do it online. I would lose several months of my three year period.

I will mail a check the month that registration expires.

The exact same thing happened to me, only got the "you didn't register" letter.

I was still within the 30 day over period so it wasn't too much of a big deal. I gather it's harder to get after that 30 day window.

My letter says they've fixed the glitch; you keep the same registration month even if you send it in early. I'll post if that doesn't prove to be true.

I re-registered recently and you do not lose anything by doing it online.. you will keep the same month (for me it's November and I re-registered in June).. so no loss there.. confirmed.

I got a letter to re-register but WILL NOT do it online. I would lose several months of my three year period.

I will mail a check the month that registration expires.

Ron, you probably don't want to wait that late. Read the FAQ on the FAA site:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ication/aircraft_registry/reregistration_faq/

The online system works very well, there is no reason not to use it. My re-registration online worked at advertised and only required a few minutes to complete.

Last edited:
Just done it!

Got mine today. The letter has your new expiration date on it and it say that it will not change, weather you do it now online or later thru us-mail. So I did it today online. I think it said I'll have it in 5 to 10 days.

ie: Filing early will not affect the new expiration date which is scheduled to be January 31, 2017

Last edited:
i guess you did not read my post a few weeks ago (this happened over July 4th). The owner of my plane got a call from the FAA while I was in the air telling him that the plane was in the air and not registered. I guess this is what I get for filing a flight plan (IFR).

The main owner of the plane had moved so had not received the registration information.

And the entertainment with the FAA continues......

The main owner of the plane sent in the registration in and had signed it as "president" of the LLC. The FAA rejected the reregistration because he was supposed to put "manager". Now we have to send it in again and who knows how long it will take the second time around.

I think that this is just plan old harassment at this point.

As already stated, the online system works just fine and no change in actual expiration date. Submitted mine on the 14th and received new registration card in the mail yesterday (19th). 5 days with a weekend stuck in is darn quick especially for a government agency.

Same thing happened to me. I listed "shareholder" of the LLC and they rejected the paperwork. So now I'd like to know what will happen when/if I don't register or re-register ??? Funny thing about my airplanes - they depend on the laws of physics to fly and don't really care about paperwork.

Same thing happened to me. I listed "shareholder" of the LLC and they rejected the paperwork. So now I'd like to know what will happen when/if I don't register or re-register ??? Funny thing about my airplanes - they depend on the laws of physics to fly and don't really care about paperwork.

If you don't register the airplane, it is not airworthy in the FAA's eyes. Remember "ARROW?" Airworthiness, Registration, Radio License (optional now,) Operating Limitations, Weight and Balance. The paperwork/information required to fly legally.

As a practical matter, an FAA inspector can override the laws of physics. :rolleyes:

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Got mine Saturday, and am waiting for an 8010 form from my fsdo to re-register. Guess its my fault for not noticing it had expired. Got one for my Bonanza too, and they wanted pictures of it. Thanks a lot, bin laden. Rest assured I'm not flying while in registration limbo. =)

Last edited:

If you don't register the airplane, it is not airworthy in the FAA's eyes. Remember "ARROW?" Airworthiness, Registration, Radio License (optional now,) Operating Limitations, Weight and Balance. The paperwork/information required to fly legally.

As a practical matter, an FAA inspector can override the laws of physics. :rolleyes:

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Insurance carriers (and lawyers) can also override the laws of physics.

Don't Be Like Me

I was stationed overseas for a year with my RV-4 in the care of a friend. I never recieved my impending expiration notice. When I got back stateside, I recieved a new assignment and moved to Rapid City, SD.

So after the move I went online to update my address and was quite alarmed to discover that my registration expired MONTHS ago! :eek: The support phone number on the website was perpetually busy. So I followed the instructions online to the letter--which informed me that once expired, you cannot renew a registration online.

The website instructed me to fill out and sign an AC Form 8050-1B, enclose a check for $5, and send to Oklahoma City. Then check periodically online to see when your renewal was approved.

Five weeks later (!) my daily website check informed me that there was a problem with my renewal. I immediately e-mailed the FAA per the website instructions, was pleased that they responded right away, but was displeased with the response. They told me that once your registration has expired, the 8050-1B is not appropriate and that I have to send in a signed copy of an AC Form 8050-1 (which I should point out asks for exactly the same information as the 8050-1B).

So I replied back and pointed out to them that I had followed web site instructions to. the. letter. Again, a surprisingly prompt reply informed me that they regret the error, they will fix the web site, and that I still owe them a 8050-1.

Lucky for me I kept two signed copies of the bill of sale from when I bought the airplane nine years ago. So hopefully I got it right this time and I'll be back in the air...in about five weeks.:(

BL: if you can at all help it, don't let your registration expire. And if you're going to be out of the country, make sure you're still getting your mail.

-Matt
402BD

Back