What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Go-Around

humptybump

Well Known Member
When was the last time you "practiced" a go-around?

For me, it was a very long time ago, during a biennial. I was on final and about 50' AGL when the instructor yelled "DOG!"

I executed the go-around and once I was in the climb and the flaps were on the way up, the instructor asked if I saw the dog. I paused and said "no". She said there was no dog. It was a test.

I ask this because two of my last four arrivals to my 1900' strip included the to-around. One of those was precipitated by squirly winds but the other was "less than perfect energy management". I'm glad the RV-8 is so responsive to "energy adjustments".

There have been many threads on landing procedures, "how short is a short runway", etc. sooner of later someone will deal out the "go-around" card.

Trust me, it's a nice card to have in you deck of tricks.

I think all pilots have certain hang ups they need to overcome, myself included, but I've never been shy about a go around. I am spring loaded to perform one and do so whenever the situation warrants. I've never been able to understand the seemingly overwhelming, desparate NEED to force an obviously bad situation. It's like once they roll out on final, the ONLY option is to land.

+1 Unless you're flying a glider or have an emergency, there's always time for a go-around. I've gone around at low altitude in real life because of a dog (at ADS, no less), a deer, a 172 that pulled in front of me on short final, bounce/PIO sutations (gusts, rough runway) and nasty wind gusts/shifts.

Sport Pilots / LSA flyers are typically taught very early to do go-arounds. The combination of low wing loading, light weight and light-weight construction make it easy to bounce or PIO and break the gear (or worse) - they're not built like a DA20/DA40 where you can stall it 3' up time and again and have no damage.

I probably practiced one every 5-6 flights back when I owned, a little more frequent now that i rent.

The advantage of all of the 912S powered LSA is that they perform admirably in the go-around (12 lb/hp and light wing loading at typical flight weights). You can bounce it due to a gust, advance the throttle, hold the nose level, and the airplane is climbing as quickly as you think about it. Pretty much a non-event in all the LSA I've flown, even in the CT at 4000'DA and MGTW.

TODR

The in-between option

I've not seen it discussed much, but I make a lot of use of the in-between option between landing and going around...when there's lots of runway (my usual situation) and a less than perfectly executed flair, I'm happy to admit I'm not perfect, add a bit of power until things are settled correctly and then continue with my landing. I know there are pilots who would consider this blasphemy and who think all landings must be power off from the turn to base and if it doesn't work out well you have to do a complete go-around. I think that's great for practicing emergency landings, but I've always found a bit of power helps smooth things and one thing I like to practice is smooth landings for passengers. I'm not good enough to practice power off approaches until they're smooth solo, and then make the adjustments for extra weight when I have passengers. Apparently I've just identified something I need to practice more, with a willing passenger.:D

One other thing I love to practice is functionally a go-around, but with a completely different frame of mind: fly the length of the runway at minimum speed as close as you can with out touching the wheels to the runway.

Ultimately I agree that the decision to go-around is more about state of mind and preparedness than actual ability to do what should be extremely simple. It's about a willingness to declare things too ugly to proceed.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the mishaps that could have been saved by a go around might stem from a combination of fatigue from a long and turbulent flight, having to wrestle the plane down final, fighting gusts and just wanting it to be done and not wanting to have to do it again...

Jeremy - good point on the option to manage power to "settle" the less than perfect aproach. I rarely get to play that card given most of arrival runways I use are 2100' or less. But, longer runways do add some options. Take a look a KPSM some time. Now there are some options :)

I find that unless I practice them often, which I try to do, I have to make a real habit of reminding myself of that option on every approach, lest I get tunnel vision. Now part of my approach checklist is to remind myself of the go-around plan.

I also think that it's important to practice to get a feel for what does and does not require a go-around. I had an instrument instructor, who also flew hurricane hunters, that taught me how aggressively I could really slip the plane to get down from MDA to the runway threshold quickly. I am less afraid of that 'too high on final' feeling now.

Probably most importantly, if I find myself wanting to bank excessively to get lined up, I go around. I don't want to be a stall-spin statistic.

I take a slightly different approach (pun intended). When I pull the power off on down wind I plan to go around unless I get solid evidence that a landing is warranted. That way, the decision is already made.

This works particularly well in gusty/windy conditions. I pre-plan a go-around unless I am convinced I can maintain runway alignment, etc.

I often exercise this option early in the approach. Most of my operations are at non-towered airports where people seem to want to fly down wind to the next zip code before turning base. Rather than continuing the trend I turn base at my usual point and if that would cause me to cut someone off I will get on the radio and state "yellow RV remaining at pattern altitude and going around." I then get out of everyone's way and try again. This usually allows for getting the pattern back to normal.

Even with everything going well I plan to go around until the last possible moment and if all is well I will change my mind and land.

If there is a Go Arounders Club I would like to be a President :D

I go around on a regular basis. Often I fly to unfamiliar strips with interesting terrain and funny winds. Once I go-arounded six times I wouldn't say where :D

Good thread Glen. I remember first I came to your strip on my way to the Bahamas in Nov 2011. I did two approaches and a touch and go on third try it was very challenging for me at full gross.

Go around often guys it's fun. And safe too.

I remember Vlad's first "near visit" to 53VG. It was a very thoughtful process. It further demonstrates that lots of things affect the landing process. A first visit to a short field at gross is more challenge than a repeat visit, solo, and with partial fuel.

Great input!

Glen:

Thanks very much for starting this thread. Vlad, Steve, Jeremy, Chris, Doug, Michael; thanks very much for continuing in the positive tone Glen set. I found all the tips useful, and I'll consider/use them when and as appropriate, in large part because this was not a rant, pejorative, or long-winded.

And to that "other" Doug, thanks again for starting VAF, and insisting on polite discourse.

Just about every flight

As an old Air Force guy, the need for touch and goes was beat out of me long ago. If I have gas, the first pattern is generally always a low-approach...great practice and a chance to assess the runway environment prior to the full-stop--especially valuable if I'm at an unfamilar field. Saves much wear and tear on the airplane as well. I'll concede that multiple patterns to a low approach isn't quite the same as practicing full-stop landings, but it's just about the 95% solution. It is a 100% solution for staying proficient at going around, however!

For an unexpected go around, the most important thing is to to not get rushed. RV's have plenty if power to stop the descent rate and accelerate even with full flaps deployed. Another handling quirk is extreme yaw if you jam the throttle quickly at low speed (say just prior to touchdown or as the airplane is settling). A nice "three count" from idle to full power and right rudder is a smooth technique for reestablishing "flight mode."

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
Go-Arounds

Fly every approach to a go-around unless landing parameters are met.

In 17000 hours I have not made any bad landings but have many judicious go-arounds.

Here is the gouge I teach:

1) GO AROUND POWER (not all airplanes use full power)

2) STOP THE SINK (adjust pitch attitude to arrest your descent; if you briefly contact the runway so be it - it will be the shortest touch and go of your career)

3) FLAPS (retract flaps from full down to climb setting if your airplane needs that to climb OTHERWISE DON'T CHANGE CONFIGURATION)

4) Set Vx attitude until clear of obstacles or 150' AGL WHICHEVER IS HIGHER

5) Set Vy attitude and as airspeed begins to increase from Vx milk up the flaps - you should NOT feel flap retraction in the seat of your pants. Slow is pro.

You are now back to normal.

Time permitting announce your go-around on the radio as soon as your are able.

You are now back to normal.

John is very correct, I would add one thing relating to "back to normal." Accomplished with the right attitude (mental) you should be back to "normal" hovever, I have witnessed several ugly outcomes on the landing following the go-around including two gear up arrivals. These were all due to the pilot being a bit rattled by the go around and failing to start over on procedures and checklists. A go around should be a non-event, but do remember get your act together before trying again.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

One other thing I love to practice is functionally a go-around, but with a completely different frame of mind: fly the length of the runway at minimum speed as close as you can with out touching the wheels to the runway.
That is a good exercise especially when you throw in a cross wind ... but it never seems to be as much fun as doing it with FULL POWER:D

Landing should be the last option.

I had an instructor that would ask the question; "What should you expect after a good stabilized (energy managed) approach?" The student would invariably respond with "a good landing." This is because he taught that a good landing is usually preceded by a stabilized approach. He would then jump all over you because the real lesson is that the landing should be your LAST option. You should only land if you can't find a good reason not to. It's a lesson well taught and valuable, you should EXPECT to go around. It should always be in the front of your mind, and the landing should be performed when you have found no good reason to execute the go around. We get too focused on performing a maneuver, and refuse to quickly go with options. ALL approaches should begin with an Either/Or mentality, so the go around isn't a surprise or last minute change. It should have been part of the approach all along. How many people have/have witnessed someone do a really stupid move in a car to make a turn or exit, when they could just go to the next turn or exit safely? We have a tendency to finish what we start, even if its not the right thing. Including the go around as part of the plan, and an expected outcome, makes it an easier decision.

Its interesting that in Instrument Flight, the missed approach is pre-planned as part of the arrival but in Visual flight, the go-around is not typically pre-planned by most pilots.

I had not thought about this discrepancy before.

Practice Go-Around Procedures!!!

John is very correct, I would add one thing relating to "back to normal." Accomplished with the right attitude (mental) you should be back to "normal" hovever, I have witnessed several ugly outcomes on the landing following the go-around including two gear up arrivals. These were all due to the pilot being a bit rattled by the go around and failing to start over on procedures and checklists. A go around should be a non-event, but do remember get your act together before trying again.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

John you are right on target.

The key to being able to resume normal operations after a go-around, whether planned or unplanned, is to practice go-arounds until they are second nature and as normal to you as brushing your teeth. Go-Arounds will then seem normal and it will be much easier to remain in the "groove of normalcy."

In my other life I am a police firearms instructor and there is a phenomenon we discuss called muscle memory. Some actions need to be practiced frequently enough so that they can be done without rational thought processes because we humans loose our ability to think that way when under stress. That is why pilots have checklists, procedures, and MELs; they keep us focused and on track when we are under stress because we loose the ability to do that to ourselves.

As a side note, it takes a minimum of 5000 repetitions to develop muscle memory and then constant reinforcement to keep that memory from getting "flabby". (Remember you mom, piano teacher or whomever telling you practice makes perfect?)

That is why it is so critical to follow your procedures and always use your checklist and adhere to your MEL.

If you don't feel comfortable practicing go-arounds get with a mentor pilot or instructor that does and learn them so they are second nature; then practice them, armchair fly, and hangar talk it with your airport buddies.

Keep The Shiny Side Up!

The new normal!

In recent years I have changed my thinking. On a landing or instrument approach I mentally plan for the go-around or missed....the landing is the alternative to each.

Also....when instructing I call the go-around pretty low....it adds a bit more challenge than the 100' high transition to the go-around.....usually I call it in the round out prior to flare. Do that a number of times when the power curve is lower and it will build your skills and confidence......never be afraid to take a flight instructor up for some pointers......EVEN THOUGH YOUR FR ISN'T DUE!!!:rolleyes:

Back