What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking CS prop upgrade in the summer...

Brantel

Well Known Member
Ok so once this panel upgrade is over, I am thinking about an upgrade to a CS prop later this summer...

My engine has a hollow crank so I am set there.

Just want to understand all I am in for on the swap and to run some assumptions by the group....

I am almost dead set on a Hartzell BA prop since I want the weight up front. I currently have a Metal Sensenich FP. Does anyone know the weight difference between the metal FP setup and the CS using this prop when one considers the total system weight?

Does anyone see any issues running this CS prop on my crank since it has lightening holes in the crank flange?

Here is a list of things that I think I will need in order to make the swap:

• The BA CS prop from Van's
  • A prop governor (please make suggestions on what make and model to get, engine has a blank cover over the pad for it)
  • Prop control cable (made provisions for it in the new panel....)
  • Prop control/governor cable bracket from Van's
  • Oil supply line. My engine has provisions but they are plugged. I am thinking braided flex line?
  • New CS spinner kit from Van's
  • Plug for the rear of the crank (can this be installed without tearing the engine down?)
Anything else?

Last edited:
That would be 'oil supply' line.

Get the prop governor control cable bracket as well.

You may need the gear drive as well not sure what you have?

I'm not up to speed with your need for weight up front but my first choice on a c/s prop would always be Whirlwind. But, Hartzell is a good prop and you won't go wrong there.

Don't forget to smile when you fly with your new prop :D.

Last edited:
Brian,
You will need a firewall eyeball, proseal or firestop 2000, and some hardware for the end of the prop cable that includes the ball end fitting.

Spruce Eyeball page
I used the 240 diameter and cut the plastic sheath off Vans cable so the ball gripped the wire sheath.

Eyeball install
You can see here how I have mine installed. Dan H made a good suggestion to flip the ball arround and fill it with firestop. It needs something because without a sealer you can 'read a book" by the light gaps.

Dwg OP 27 shows the cable connection to the gov.
1 ea AN3-11A
1 ea 5702-475-48
3 ea 5702-75-60
1 ea AN 960-10
1 ea MS21042-3
1 ea CT Bearing MW-3M

The pass through location shown on OP-33 was specified for my -M1B and was correct. Memory says you are carbed but I imagine the prop gov is in the same spot.

If you don't have any .020 safety wire, you might want to get some on this order since the gov fasteners use it.

New gear drive and rebuilt Woodward Governor

I have a new gear drive and rebuilt Woodward Governor P.N. 210443 for 0-360 A1A. Both for $400.00. If interested Can email picture.

Does your engine have a hole in the nose to take the oil fitting (about 11 o'clock when looking from the front), gear inside to drive the governor and shaft to engage on gear and drive governor (about $1000)? Could get expensive if not ... May have to consider an electric MT.

My 70CM Sensenich weighs 39lb, inc prop, spacer, bolts & spinner. I've heard a Hartzell weighs up to 60lb.

Pete

The oil line hole is there but has a fitting and it is capped.

Pretty sure the gears are in there but will look next time I have the cowl off.

Did mine in 2006

and enjoyed it a lot. Made spinner and got everything organized as much as possible before taking plane out of service. Down time was only from 7am till 2pm. Spent over 2 hrs trying to pull old inner metal seal out without use of slapper. Still had to use a weight slapper to pop it out. Was afraid of breaking the crankshaft spray bar; that is a big no-no. CS prop is not cost justified, but neither are small personal planes.
Love my CS prop, and original builder liked it and wished he had built it that way. That plane is gone now, my 1st RV6a (N241BD).
Good luck!

Back