- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:27 PM

Default RV-7a or 9a ?

I am just starting my quest for a RV, I'm expecting to be buying one in about a year or so. Of course I want to at least see and sit in one of each model ( 9 and 7 ) before I get too far along...just to make sure this is the route I want to take.

I feel like the best model for me, all things considered, would be the 7a or 9a. I have read the differences on Van's website and understand them, but as we all know experience is better than print. I have met one guy with a 9a ( haven't seen his plane yet ) that loves his plane but does state that climb rates and such are not as advertised.

Can anyone give me any insight as to which of these two models would be better ? Has anyone on here owned or flown both models extensively ? I'm not really interested in performing aerobatics, my flying would be more going places for fun or vacations. Which both models are fast and low fuel consumption compared to say a Cessna 182, so I really can't at this point make a real decision.

Thank you
Old 10-25-2020, 03:02 PM

I guess it depends on the year....earlier -7As had a different empennage IIUC...smaller fin/rudder. Otherwise, I think the -7A and -9A are the same fuselage these days. The difference is the wings. Obviously, if you want to do any aerobatics then the -7A is your plane. When I started looking, I was set on either a -7A or -9A...didn't care which. A -9A equipped as I wanted and at a reasonable price came up first.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker View Post
I'm not really interested in performing aerobatics, my flying would be more going places for fun or vacations.
The 9/A was designed specifically for you .

There are lots of variations in how people build them, but if you build to specs, they get Van's advertised numbers, or better. The 9 will give you slightly better efficiency up high (cue the -7 owners who swear that's not true), as well as better glide and lower stall speed, both of which come in handy if the worst happens and the engine goes quiet. You also get a slightly more stable platform for IFR, should you wish to equip that way. A -7 still makes a great XC plane, but if that's your main mission, why not go for the model that was specifically designed for it? The 9 is what Van himself chooses for long XC.

Chris
Old 10-25-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I guess it depends on the year....earlier -7As had a different empennage IIUC...smaller fin/rudder. Otherwise, I think the -7A and -9A are the same fuselage these days. The difference is the wings. Obviously, if you want to do any aerobatics then the -7A is your plane. When I started looking, I was set on either a -7A or -9A...didn't care which. A -9A equipped as I wanted and at a reasonable price came up first.
Thatís kinda where Iím at, whichever one equipped correctly for me and comes up first would get me. Unless there was a specific reason to stay away from one or the other.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
The 9/A was designed specifically for you .

There are lots of variations in how people build them, but if you build to specs, they get Van's advertised numbers, or better. The 9 will give you slightly better efficiency up high (cue the -7 owners who swear that's not true), as well as better glide and lower stall speed, both of which come in handy if the worst happens and the engine goes quiet. You also get a slightly more stable platform for IFR, should you wish to equip that way. A -7 still makes a great XC plane, but if that's your main mission, why not go for the model that was specifically designed for it? The 9 is what Van himself chooses for long XC.

Chris

Thank you Chris

You have a perfect point. The 9 does fit my needs better. Iíve got plenty of time so I may as well keep my search to the 9.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:05 PM

It is difficult to choose when both choices are good choices.

I have a 9A, I fly with several friends with 7s. Speed is relative to airplane design to some extent but in terms of the flying we do, altitude is also an important factor too. I can attest that 9s will cruise with pretty much any 7. In some situations the 7 will out perform the 9. In other situations the reverse is true. The 9 can be more efficient on long x-country flights, especially if flying higher (above 9K). It has a different airfoil so its glide characteristics will allow the plane to glide (float) very differently than a 7 which could affect performance in the pattern. The 7 is aerobatic so will have different maneuvering (Va) speed, never exceed (Vne) Speed, etc.. As mentioned, the 7 and 9 wing airfoils are different so the 7 will behave differently When you pull the power back.

It really will depend on your mission. You will be happy with either but make the choice based on what kind of flying you expect to be doing.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 10-25-2020, 04:14 PM

Next time you're in Savannah, I'll give you a ride in my -9A.

Ed
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 10-25-2020, 04:30 PM

Jeff,
They are both nearly perfectly suited to your (current) mission. As a buyer, you will be perfectly happy with a good example of either that you can actually get your hands on. Beware, when you get your hands on an RV, your aviation perspective will definitely change.

When we built our -9a, we had one very low time pilot to bring up to speed, and she knew what she wanted. It has taken us to the ends of the earth and provided experiences that we never could have imagined. Our aviation perspective grew with those experiences.

The important part, I think, is not to get too stuck on the details of -7 vs -9. Do something as soon as reasonable, because it will blow your mind .
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-25-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
It is difficult to choose when both choices are good choices.

I have a 9A, I fly with several friends with 7s. Speed is relative to airplane design to some extent but in terms of the flying we do, altitude is also an important factor too. I can attest that 9s will cruise with pretty much any 7. In some situations the 7 will out perform the 9. In other situations the reverse is true. The 9 can be more efficient on long x-country flights, especially if flying higher (above 9K). It has a different airfoil so its glide characteristics will allow the plane to glide (float) very differently than a 7 which could affect performance in the pattern. The 7 is aerobatic so will have different maneuvering (Va) speed, never exceed (Vne) Speed, etc.. As mentioned, the 7 and 9 wing airfoils are different so the 7 will behave differently When you pull the power back.

It really will depend on your mission. You will be happy with either but make the choice based on what kind of flying you expect to be doing.
I am far more interested in stability and ease of control. Especially when my girlfriend is with me, and she will be with me on most of my trips.

Believe it or not, the main missions I do are simple. A group of us fly to breakfast on Sunday mornings. Other than that, itís taking friends and family on their first flights. I want to expand to vacationing. Iíve only self flown vacationed once and that was to the Bahamas. Pretty darned cool and I wanna do more of that. It seems the RVís are the most affordable way to accomplish that, plus everyone seems to really enjoy flying them.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Next time you're in Savannah, I'll give you a ride in my -9A.

Ed
Careful...if I ever get down there Iíll PM you , lol