- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:09 PM

Default G5 to GTX 327 - RS232 Data

Hey all! Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere, i promised i searched for it but couldn't find it.

Anyway- I have a G5 in my plane and recently bought a GTX327 to replace my older Bendix/King. I have an Altitude Encoder that is going bad and needs replaced also.

So the question is; Can I use the Garmin G5 RS232 data as an Altitude (Encoder) Source in place of buying a new encoder? I have read that the G5 supplies Alt info via the RS232 data wire and the GTX327 can cypher that info.

I can not find any hard information (yes/no) on this so figured one of you would have the answer.

Found this on the Garmin G5 page.

<Does the Garmin G5 have an Altitude Encoder output which can be used for Mode C Transponder reply?

Yes. The G5 outputs altitude encoder data to a compatible transponder. Both Icarus and Shadin-format messages are output when using this setting. Please note that the transponder must be able to read RS-232 data>

Thanks in advance! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-31-2020, 07:50 PM

Hello,

Yes, this will work if the G5 serial port is available.

Page 7-5 of the current Rev. 8 G5 Installation Manual shows how to wire a G5 to a GTX 327 and use it to supply altitude data to the GTX.

As shown on this drawing, configure the G5 RS-232 Output for "Altitude Encoder" and the GTX 327 RS-232 Input for "Icarus Alt".

Steve

Last edited by Longez : 12-31-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:05 AM

+1 on Steve’s answer.
No need for an encoder, neither external nor the one for the 375... the G5 will provide that info.

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-01-2021, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longez View Post
Hello,

Yes, this will work if the G5 serial port is available.

Page 7-5 of the current Rev. 8 G5 Installation Manual shows how to wire a G5 to a GTX 327 and use it to supply altitude data to the GTX.

As shown on this drawing, configure the G5 RS-232 Output for "Altitude Encoder" and the GTX 327 RS-232 Input for "Icarus Alt".

Steve
Thank you sir!
Old 01-01-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
+1 on Steve’s answer.
No need for an encoder, neither external nor the one for the 375... the G5 will provide that info.

Much appreciated.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
+1 on Steve’s answer.
Not to thread drift too much, but Dan is right.

If you have a G5 system with a Garmin GNX 375 or other Garmin Mode S ADS-B transponder like the GTX 335/345, these transponders automatically receive altitude data from the G5 over ARINC 429 (via the GAD 29), so there no need to connect the G5 RS-232 to the GTX.

If you have dual G5 units, you even have backup altitude data for the transponder via the CAN bus connection to the GAD 29.

Steve
Old 01-01-2021, 09:43 AM

Here is how you do it. Note that you can still send navigation data to the G5 with Pin 4 (RS232 RX) since it is still available. You can configure the G5's RX and TX settings to different serial formats. For the altitude data set Pin 5 (RS 232 TX) to "altitude" format and then set the GTX 327 Pin 19 (RX 1) to "Icarus" format. You can also split the altitude signal by teeing into the wire to send it to another device if desired.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
Here is how you do it. Note that you can still send navigation data to the G5 with Pin 4 (RS232 RX) since it is still available. You can configure the G5's RX and TX settings to different serial formats. For the altitude data set Pin 5 (RS 232 TX) to "altitude" format and then set the GTX 327 Pin 19 (RX 1) to "Icarus" format. You can also split the altitude signal by teeing into the wire to send it to another device if desired.

Thank you so much! Your diagram will be printed and used for my install! Much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post

Question guys; So I installed and configured today as the install doc's and suggestions stated. When sitting on the ramp my GTX won't display "pressure alt", and haven't flown so not sure if it does it in flight. Is this normal? Or should it at least display the alt I am sitting at? I noticed the transponder in my other plane only displays when in flight.

Just want to make sure its correct before i go get tested.

Thanks,
Old 01-08-2021, 12:33 PM

Yes. You should see pressure altitude on the GTX 327 screen as long as the G5 is powered on and configured properly with correct wiring.

GTX 327:

When you put the GTX 327 into configuration mode (power on while holding the FUNC key) was there a setting for pressure altitude display? I usually set it to "FEET" instead of the default of flight level "FLIGHT LVL". Then make sure the RS 232 INPUT is set to ICARUS ALT.

Also, in regular mode try pressing the "FUNC" button to scroll through the GTX display options.

G5:

The G5 configuration mode is entered by holding in the button while powering on.

Under RS 232 TX1 make sure it is set to "Altitude".

Wiring:

Make sure there is one twisted pair between the G5 and GTX for Signal and Signal Ground. Make sure the shield is drained at the backshell of each component.

Finally, if you have access to another GTX 327 you could slide it in and see if it exhibits the same behavior.