Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2020, 04:15 PM

We've been distancing at our Maryland house (where the RV still is), trying to do things to get it listed for sale. Our daughter Judy lost her job as a server, and her flight instructor has a compromised wife, so he's not interacting with people for a couple months. So Judy came to Maryland to once again get into the RV with Dad to continue on her PPL path. She asked for a flight without a dedicated plan just to wash away the Cherokee flows and feels.

My father's retirement community has (thoughtfully) gone into lock down: anyone who goes out the front gate must stay behind the door of their apartment for two weeks to protect the others. He is less than enamored with the 'room service' from the community eatery. So, we made up some of M'lady's best meals and froze them in individual meal containers.

Two birds with one stone, Judy and I flew east to west through the DC SFRA, grabbed the courtesy car from KJYO, and dropped the meals off at the front gate for Dad today!

Long way home around the Class B, and into the pattern for some crosswind landing training. She did great, I'm quite happy for the quality time with her.

Last edited by catmandu : 04-05-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Had a nice flight on Friday but when I was cleaning the bugs off, noticed that I had a very slight oil leak somewhere. Didn't want to take things apart only to find out that the fix required more than I had on hand, and that I'd end up leaving the plane apart for an indeterminate length of time. So I did nothing...
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 04-05-2020, 05:52 PM

Out for some air work and site seeing:

Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM

Default Flew around the Sangre De Cristos

Headed down to Spanish Peaks for a touch and go. When we left winds were about 10 knots, when we got there they had a 30 kt crosswind. So we flew over to the Westcliff valley (East of Sangre De Cristos) and flew by Silver West airport, where they had also had a wicked crosswind. By the time we got back to KFLY, it was almost calm. So we logged about an hour just driving around the mountains of Colorado. There are worse ways to spend a day!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:06 PM

Got all the horizontal cowl fasteners completed, including the nose nut plates and screws. It's not really a milestone... still have the firewall fasteners to do and a LOT of fitting and finishing work on top and bottom cowls... but it sure feels (and looks) like a milestone. Nice to make significant progress again before returning to the fiberglass finishing grind; more millstone than milestone.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage at hangar; currently working on finishing canopy & wing tips.
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:17 PM

Default W&B

Time to put the girl on the scales .. 1106 lbs. All that additional primer and internal paint added a bit to the final number. No waif, but not portly either. Small rear end, though, coming in at 64 lbs. Rapidly running out of stuff to do .. just gotta fly this bird!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:36 PM

Lil' Dude was having a tough day at home pre-school this morning, I bribed him with a trip to go flying if he finished his last worksheet. I needed to use the table-saw stashed at the hangar anyway and it's been a couple weeks since I stirred the oil so it sounded like a good idea.
1500ish OVC made it a good opportunity to log a couple of approaches, we filed picked up our clearance and launched. Not half bad for being out of the cockpit for a couple weeks, I've got my 120 nailed and just slightly off the horizontal/vertical. The flight director was still stuck on Alt, I was hand flying and never swapped it to Apch.

As we broke out on the first approach Lil' Dude says "Dad, I want to see the sun," he melted my heart right then and there! My favorite thing about instrument flying is leaving the gloom below and breaking out on top of an overcast to the blinding sun. A quick request with Center for top reports, higher altitude and a vector, "My Co-pilot wants to see the sun." We broke out around 5000 and used a block altitude so he could get a little stick time. Yes he is wearing a coat, shorts and cowboy boots....

Lil' Dude cruised the deserted airport while I made sawdust with the table-saw and blew out the hangar, dang we like hanging out here!

Old 04-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Patrick (Pmoran) -

How do you get your 3D flight profile superimposed on google maps like that?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShort View Post
How do you get your 3D flight profile superimposed on google maps like that?
I?m not Patrick but the first post at the link below and the blog referenced in it should help you

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=Google+earth

Erich
Old 04-07-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich weaver View Post
I?m not Patrick but the first post at the link below and the blog referenced in it should help you

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=Google+earth

Erich
Very cool - thanks!
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V