What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Southern California to Oshkosh

RVTOY

Well Known Member
Newbie to fly over Rockies. Would like to find others flying that way so I can learn the easy / safe way. R7:

There are probably hundreds of VAF who have made this trip. I've flown to OSH from POC ~20 times...it often boils down to wx and winds, with routing determined 24 hours out - or day of departure.

3 choices:
1) direct over CO - Aspen makes a nice (expensive) lunch stop. Actually very few Restricted Airspace issues.
2) East over LAS and then up towards SLC and then bend East around FT Bridger & RKS;
3)Southerly route thorough PSP, Northern AZ, NM and then into CO.

They are all good! If wx, winds and O2 permit I prefer the direct route with an o'dark thirty departure.

Last edited:
Heads up, Aspen (ASE) has a 50.00 landing fee. Alt: From Eagle (EGE) or Kremmling (RLG and loaner car avail.) we usually cross the divide at/near Rollins Pass (N39?56.78' W105?40.53') staying north of the Gore range. Also, like to fuel at Wayne NE (LCG) lower cost fuel.

The first time on this long route is always a little nervy, no matter what anyone says. The fun part is playing with routes and WX and fuel prices and armchair flying the route for weeks before (usually during long conference calls :) )

I have had good luck flying the southern route to AEG ? LBL - onward multiple times.

The northern route crossing the rockies Spanish Fork (U77) ? KBFF is also beautiful and relatively easy..a little windy by the afternoon.

Have fun and safe flight.

Suresh Subramanian
N765RV
KRNM

Avoid the Rockies

I don't like flying over the mountains when another viable route is available. My route from PHX to Osh. First stop, Dalhart TX. KDHT. Bailey's flying service for fuel. Final fuel stop, Harlan, Iowa, KHNR. Quaint little airport with good fuel prices. This will give you 2 hours to OHS and plenty of fuel reserves.

From SoCal, I'd stop at St. Johns AZ for cheap fuel. Then on to KDHT and KHNR. Definitely doable with a long day starting at daylight.

The extra milage is worth not getting beat up over the mountains. Overall it isn't that much farther for the Southern route.

Back