-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:29 AM

Question RV-12 Passenger Control Stick Removable?

I'm thinking of buying a 12 but my wife needs the stick out of the way in order to get in and out. Is the passenger stick removable without modification but if it needs to be modified, has anyone done it?
Thanks!
We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!" -J.L. Seagull
Paid $25.00 "dues" 2021.

my website

Old 07-01-2022, 08:04 AM

Actually the control stick is not in the way. Simple method to get in/out of RV-12 without standing up or standing on the seats...

IngressÖ. https://youtu.be/vFcl_h1mfT0

Egress.... https://youtu.be/DtU0JE5L2RE
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 790

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 07-01-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Actually the control stick is not in the way. Simple method to get in/out of RV-12 without standing up or standing on the seats...

IngressÖ. https://youtu.be/vFcl_h1mfT0

Egress.... https://youtu.be/DtU0JE5L2RE
I am sure you meant well but you are being very unsympathetic to those such as my wife who have very arthritic joints and weak limbs. The videos are not the answer for her.
We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!" -J.L. Seagull
Paid $25.00 "dues" 2021.

my website

Old 07-01-2022, 08:40 AM

It is not removable (if you have a per-plans built airplane). However, you should be able to chop the stick in half.. close to the base -- far enough up the stick where you'd have access to it.. and perhaps far enough up where it clears the fabric boot..

Then use a smaller diameter (or larger I guess would work too) steel tube to rejoin the two sections of 'stick'. Use two AN3 bolts to secure the two halves of the stick. Maybe one side can use a bolt with cotter pin for easy removal.

The legacy RV12 has only the PTT button in the stick.. which you could probably just disconnect permanently.. or relocate elsewhere. The real complication is that the stick is curved. not just a straight pipe like the old RV-6/7 was.

And as you know, this is one of the few airplanes that you enter from the front of the wing.. which may be more difficult (or maybe less) for your wife.. So I'd recommend that you compare entry/exit the RV-12 against a more traditional entry/exit plane (rv6/7/9/10/14). If the 12 is the best for you.. then issues with the stick can be worked out. If you're already dead set on the -12, you can purchase an extra stick from Van's, and start modifying it now..for whatever RV12 you end up purchasing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stick.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	504.8 KB
ID:	27676  
APRS Track or ADSBExchange Track

Last edited by rcarsey : 07-01-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:56 AM

Default Removable stick? Maybe . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevansrv7a View Post
I'm thinking of buying a 12 but my wife needs the stick out of the way in order to get in and out. Is the passenger stick removable without modification but if it needs to be modified, has anyone done it?
Thanks!
My neighbor has a massive machine shop capability (and a big hanger to house all of it) . . . and he's a pretty creative guy.
I'm finishing up an 'iS to replace my basic 12. My wife insisted that the iS have a removeable stick, so she encouraged my neighbor to work the problem. He's progressed a little on a concept, but not finished.

All of that to say - There's hope that Paul (my neighbor) will solve this problem.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
It is not removable (if you have a per-plans built airplane). However, you should be able to chop the stick in half.. close to the base -- far enough up the stick where you'd have access to it.. and perhaps far enough up where it clears the fabric boot..

Then use a smaller diameter (or larger I guess would work too) steel tube to rejoin the two sections of 'stick'. Use two AN3 bolts to secure the two halves of the stick. Maybe one side can use a bolt with cotter pin for easy removal.

The legacy RV12 has only the PTT button in the stick.. which you could probably just disconnect permanently.. or relocate elsewhere. The real complication is that the stick is curved. not just a straight pipe like the old RV-6/7 was.

And as you know, this is one of the few airplanes that you enter from the front of the wing.. which may be more difficult (or maybe less) for your wife.. So I'd recommend that you compare entry/exit the RV-12 against a more traditional entry/exit plane (rv6/7/9/10/14). If the 12 is the best for you.. then issues with the stick can be worked out. If you're already dead set on the -12, you can purchase an extra stick from Van's, and start modifying it now.
Thanks for a thoughtful answer.
1. I have to downgrade to Sport Pilot, sold my 7A so that's why the interest in the 12.
2. My wife would have to sit on the wing, put her legs over the edge, flop onto the seat. That is why the stick would be in the way.
3. Would it work to remove the stick and the F-1264 rod? It would not be feasible to put the stick back in for dual but would it work for my purpose?
4. I would consider cutting and sleeving the stick if nothing better were available. I did have a quick-remove pin (sailboat style) on the passenger stick in my 7A and a PTT on the panel for simplicity.
Paid $25.00 "dues" 2021.

my website

Old 07-01-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
3. Would it work to remove the stick and the F-1264 rod? It would not be feasible to put the stick back in for dual but would it work for my purpose?
Definitely. Just be sure to replace the bolt that was holding F-1264 (rod) onto the mixer. That nut/bolt is important to the mixer.
APRS Track or ADSBExchange Track

Last edited by rcarsey : 07-01-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:17 PM

Default Flexibility

Re post #6 item 2. If your wife can sit on the wing of a RV12 and swing her legs in then I donít think she has a problem. I would think that physically impossible. Just my opinion with a bad knee😇
Old 07-01-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
Re post #6 item 2. If your wife can sit on the wing of a RV12 and swing her legs in then I donít think she has a problem. I would think that physically impossible. Just my opinion with a bad knee😇
She may not be able to but it's the only way that she might be able to do it. She has bad knee, bad hip, sometimes get stuck in bath tub. It would be one leg at at time at best.

Count me as sympathetic.
Paid $25.00 "dues" 2021.

my website

Old 07-01-2022, 08:38 PM

H Evan,

I sympathize. My wife has never been in my 12 after 10 years due to balance issues and a bad knee. The Cherokee we have is still accessible to her. Fortunately I donít have such problems myself. I have considered getting a high wing LSA when Old Man Time catches up with my joints and my 12ís engine is run out.

Rich