What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Systematic List of Metal Cleaners

rfinch

Well Known Member
As I begin the main QB tasks, I find myself puzzled by the many metal cleaning agents: detergents, isopropyl alcohol, lacquer thinner, MEK, acetone, etc etc. So I'm looking for a list of common metal cleaners and their recommended application. Looked through AC43.13 and the RVator archives but didn't find a simple list and description of each generic cleaner.

Metal Cleaning

I stock denatured alcohol, acetone, and MEK in my shop.

I use the denatured alcohol to remove Sharpie marks, aluminum ink markings from the manufacturer, etc. Alcohol evaporates more slowly than acetone or MEK and you can cover a lot of area with a small quantity. Health hazards are also reduced.

Acetone is the solvent of choice when I'm working with epoxy.

MEK is the solvent of choice when I'm working with primer (I'm using Akzo epoxy primer) and/or Proseal, etc. since it's the most aggressive.

Dawn dishwashing detergent is an excellent degreaser and works well for metal prep.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Same here, but I usually use lacquer thinner instead of dishwashing detergent to remove oils and clean the surface before shooting primer, personal preference.

MEK is about the hottest solvent you'll have on hand, that's the big sledgehammer in the solvent world. Backing down from there would be lacquer thinner, acetone, alcohol.

Back