What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV takes to the sky

cholladay

Well Known Member
Another R V takes to the sky. N769CE slow build kit flew for the first time on Tuesday the 17th, after 16 months of labor. It was a flawless flight. The RV-8 flew straight and level and required no adjustments to the flight surfaces. It sports a:
ECI IO 360 180 HP Horizontal induction engine.
Garmin 430 Navcom
My favorite an advanced flight systems 3500EE EFIS and Engine monitor combo. Let me tell you this EFIS is top notch. If you are looking for an EFIS and you do not consider Advanced Flight Systems, well I will have to call you crazy. This thing will do it all. The service that they provide is above and beyond the average company. A+++++.
Trutrac pictorial pilot II works great.
I already have 10hrs on it and I am looking forward to the next 5000hrs.
I am wondering when does the grin go away? Probably never.
Live Strong
Chad Holladay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BciUTXgwho8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhO5ywMJXk

Congrats!

I always smile when I see another -8 come together - of course I'm a little biased!
Congratulations Chad!!!

My favorite an advanced flight systems 3500EE EFIS and Engine monitor combo. Let me tell you this EFIS is top notch. If you are looking for an EFIS and you do not consider Advanced Flight Systems, well I will have to call you crazy. This thing will do it all. The service that they provide is above and beyond the average company. A+++++.
Say, I'm a couple of years from making a decision but I definitely want an EFIS of some kind. You must have done some kind of comparison between the different manufacturers. Can you describe more what factors went in to your final decision?

Say, I'm a couple of years from making a decision but I definitely want an EFIS of some kind. You must have done some kind of comparison between the different manufacturers. Can you describe more what factors went in to your final decision?

Ralph,
Why I choose Advanced Flight Systems (AFS).
Deciding on a EFIS provider was a hard chioce. There is such competition and advances in technology right now. If one company has a feature that the others don't it is just a matter of time before the one that doesn't adds the feature. What I wanted in a EFIS is:
1. I wanted a company based in the states.
2. I wanted a company with a good history of customer support and service. I had a small glitch with my EFIS that I found just prior to my first flight and it I had to send it back to AFS. I overnighted it to them and they jumped on it,had it corrected. I had it back with in a couple of days of sending it off.
3. I wanted my Engine monitor built into my EFIS which it is on the AF3500EE
4.I wanted to be able to overlay my CDI and glide slope information on the artificial horizon.
5. I wanted a company that is agressive in developing new neat stuff to add on to my display. I already have planes to add the mapping software and the new to AFS, XM weather feature. So I will have heads up weather on my EFIS.
6. It is very user friendly. I had no problem learning to navigate the system.
7. It, in my opinion, looked the coolest.
Every time I go up and fly I learn something new about the EFIS.
If you are 2 years out I would recommend that you just sit back and watch because they are improving these flight displays so much and so fast that by the time you need it there is no telling what they will have thought up to put in the EFIS.
Chad

Chad,

That is great news! Let us know how the test flying goes.

As for selecting an EFIS, I made a spreadsheet with all options I wanted down the left side and a column for each manufacturer. It included most of the things Chad listed, but not all.

I did the same for the EMS functions.

Each row had a ranking from 1 to 3, 1-Required, 2-Nice to Have, & 3-Not Required. That helped me weigh each response and avoid buying an EFIS just because it had the most options but not the ones I felt were required.

You can start building a spreadsheet now but by the time you are ready for them, all the answers will have changed. This stuff is just changing so fast, it is difficult to keep up with all the options.

Back