What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Mini and Trig TT 21 or 22 / ADS-B

Abraham

Well Known Member
Hi, I plan to install a GRT Mini (most likely AP version) with a TRIG (remote mounted) xpndr and I have some questions:

1. Do I need to have a Class 1 or 2 Trig?

2. What do I need to install (if anything) to be able to have traffic and weather?

3. How about the STX 165R? Any difference between this and the TRIG for what I want to accomplish? Edit: I see this is only mode C, however the manufacturer says having UAT is better.

Last edited:
Hi, I plan to install a GRT Mini (most likely AP version) with a TRIG (remote mounted) xpndr and I have some questions:

1. Do I need to have a Class 1 or 2 Trig?

2. What do I need to install (if anything) to be able to have traffic and weather?

3. How about the STX 165R? Any difference between this and the TRIG for what I want to accomplish? Edit: I see this is only mode C, however the manufacturer says having UAT is better.

1. Class 1 in the US
2. For weather you need a 978 ADSB-in box. There are many that work with the GRT displays, e.g. I use a Skyradar. See GRT website.
3. Of course someone who makes only a mode C transponder will say that. They want to make a sale. It's not at all clear UAT is better, it certainly is NOT if you want to fly abve 18,000' or maybe visit certain foreign countries. Most people look at the total cost (including gps and antennas) as a big factor. Don't forget you need an approved gps to drive either system, although some UATs include it in their package. The Trig makes a lot of sense if you already have, or plan to have, a Garmin 4xxW/5xxW or GTN series GPS, as the Trig can 'read' the Garmin gps output and use that as a postion source. I also hear the GRT is now offering a stand-alone GPS position source but it is not yet on their web site.

I also hear the GRT is now offering a stand-alone GPS position source but it is not yet on their web site.

I was told by GRT that their new 2020 compliant GPS will be shipping mid to late September.

BTW, the Mini-X and -AP versions support ADSB-in traffic and weather, while the -B version does not.

The Garmin GPS20A GPS source can plug right into the TT22 for a complete ADS-B out compliant solution.

the manufacturer says having UAT is better.

One possible benefit of having a UAT versus using an ES transponder is that the ADS-B rules allow for a UAT to offer an "anonymous" mode similar to using "1200" on a Mode C transponder. The ADS-B rules do not allow ES transponders to offer this option.

For whatever that might be worth to you (or not! :) )

I have been using a Trig 22 coupled to a GRT Mini-X for over a year now, and the combination is working great. The Mini-X controls the TT22 directly, and I did not install the separate TT22 control head. A GNS-480 supplies the GPS position source, and all green on my ADS-B report from the FAA.

-Dj

1. Class 1 in the US
2. For weather you need a 978 ADSB-in box. There are many that work with the GRT displays, e.g. I use a Skyradar. See GRT website.
3. Of course someone who makes only a mode C transponder will say that. They want to make a sale. It's not at all clear UAT is better, it certainly is NOT if you want to fly abve 18,000' or maybe visit certain foreign countries. Most people look at the total cost (including gps and antennas) as a big factor. Don't forget you need an approved gps to drive either system, although some UATs include it in their package. The Trig makes a lot of sense if you already have, or plan to have, a Garmin 4xxW/5xxW or GTN series GPS, as the Trig can 'read' the Garmin gps output and use that as a postion source. I also hear the GRT is now offering a stand-alone GPS position source but it is not yet on their web site.

Thank you very much Mr. Turner... This is for an aerobatic airplane only. Lighter is better... The only reason I want the weather is for when traveling to contests. So as I understand it the GRT Mini does not have a GPS compatible of working with ADB? Is this only out or in? or both? I can put a Garmin GPS20A and this will solve my GPS issue? Or as someone mentioned wait until GRT releases the new GPS??

Where does the 978 ADSB-in box come into the equation? Is this in addition to everything else just mentioned?

Last edited:
Thank you very much Mr. Turner... This is for an aerobatic airplane only. Lighter is better... The only reason I want the weather is for when traveling to contests. So as I understand it the GRT Mini does not have a GPS compatible of working with ADB? Is this only out or in? or both? I can put a Garmin GPS20A and this will solve my GPS issue? Or as someone mentioned wait until GRT releases the new GPS??

Where does the 978 ADSB-in box come into the equation? Is this in addition to everything else just mentioned?

1. The mini + TT22 + approved gps gets you ADSB-out.
2. For the approved gps you can use any Garmin IFR navigator with the latest software; the Garmin gps mentioned above; the GRT gps (not yet available) mentioned above. The OSH price for the grt gps was, I heard, $500 with antenna included, which would make it the cheapest option if you have nothing now.
3. To get wx, you need ADSB-in, and a way to display the information. Many ADSB-in boxes will connect wirelessly to an iPad. Generally speaking, For Garmin or foreflight software on the iPad you need a Garmin or Foreflight ADSB-in box. Everything else pretty much works with WingX on the iPad.

Finally, if you never fly above 10,000', nor in class B nor class C airspace, nor within the 30nm 'veil' around class B, you are not required to get ADSB-out at all. You can still get weather as in (3) above.

Back