What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edo Aire RT563A weak transmit

rcroddy

I'm New Here
I just puchased a used aircraft with an Edo-Aire RT563A NavCom and the transmit worked well for the 1st 7 hours. After that the 5 amp radio fuse blew, and was replaced. Now the radio can barely be heard on a handheld 150 feet away and the local control tower can only hear the carrier with the plane in the air. Receive still seems ok with the volume turned close to full up. The transmit was checked bypassing the intercom and still was weak. Any Suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Warren

Check the SWR, look for shorts / opens in the coax, bad tray connections.

It could be the modulator section of the radio failed.

I have a working RT-563 sitting on the shelf if you need a replacement (send me an email), but be sure to check the antenna and wiring first.

Paige

I just puchased a used aircraft with an Edo-Aire RT563A NavCom and the transmit worked well for the 1st 7 hours. After that the 5 amp radio fuse blew, and was replaced. Now the radio can barely be heard on a handheld 150 feet away and the local control tower can only hear the carrier with the plane in the air. Receive still seems ok with the volume turned close to full up. The transmit was checked bypassing the intercom and still was weak. Any Suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Warren

Back